This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How should I use my land?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:07 am

About how much will a 6' diameter bale of hay weigh?

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:44 am

That depends on the moisture content of the hay. My bales weigh about 1200 lbs each + or -.
8)

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:26 am

I've decided I'm gonna keep it simple. I'll stop when I run out of time.

1. Build a house and do the landscaping. Build a separate garage for a workshop.

2. Put in a medium sized vegetable garden, a few berry bushes, a few fruit trees, flower beds, bird houses, and bat boxes.

3. Add a few rabbits, if I have enough time.

4. Add a few chickens and guinea fowl, if I have enough time.

5. Consider adding a few steers, if I have enough time.

I think I'll make it through item #4 OK. Item #5 is optional. I may just maintain the larger field in grasses and clover.

Thanks for the comments.

Dan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:40 am

Suggest putting out the fruit trees as soon as possible, it will take them a few years to produce, also suggest dwarf trees, they produce sooner and are easier to pick/maintain. If you are wanting the rabbits fro meat rather tham pets, the filed of clover and grass will provide a number of them, especially if htere are trees nearby. of course they will also help themselves to the garden. LOL
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:21 pm

Cows are fairly easy to keep as long as they have food and water and a salt and mineryl block. We have a farm in the UP we only went up there evey other weekend. The biggest problem is fencing I am now a big on high tensel fensing with a electric fence charger. Four or five strands of wire and the steel T poles are fast to put up and hold up good and are one of the cheepest ways to go.

A very good magizine is Countryside & small stock journal. They have regular articals on cattle, horses, goats, sheep, rabbits, garding etc. It is focused on home steading and making yourself self suffient. It is written with a view of helping peaple move from the city to the country and helping teach those with no experance. http://www.countrysidemag.com $18 per year it comes every other month.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:53 pm

Novel ranching idea.

I was visiting John Puckett today and drove past a very nice home with a couple of nicely trimed padocks constructed out of plastic fencing. Inside the padocks were two, twice live sized plastic bulls.

Eugene

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:11 pm

I don't think those taste very good :lol: :lol: But they're easy on the feed bill :lol:
8)

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:43 am

Yeah John. I'm thinking of rabbits for meat.

If the coyotes, bobcats, foxes, and mountain lions leave a few for me I'd rather hunt rabbits to put in the freezer. I don't see a lot of rabbits even though I have lots of clover in the fields and trees and brush around the fields.

I have seen lots of turkeys, pheasants, and deer. And the pond next door is busting at the seems with very large panfish and medium sized bass. Wild blackberries are abundant and there are lots of wild cherry trees around.

Once I get moved I plan on putting a large chest freezer in the basement and spending my spare time filling it. :lol:

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:02 pm

You might consider Irish Dexters for a cow. They are quite small. They look a bit like a small angus. There were some in the NE IA when I looked into it several years ago.
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:58 am

Little Indy,

I have looked into Dexters. IIRC, they're a good beef and dairy breed. If I just raise one head it might be a Dexter steer because of the reasonable amount of meat I'd get for the family. If I raise several head of cattle so I can sell some I'll go with something else.

I'm a little concerned that the Dexters are so small and cute that it would soon become a family pet. :D

They really are an ideal 'homestead' type breed.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:24 am

Eugene wrote: Inside the padocks were two, twice live sized plastic bulls.
Eugene
The owners husband is buried there, those are grave markers. You just thought you had strange neighbors.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:04 am

John responed: Eugene. The owners husband is buried there, those are grave markers. You just thought you had strange neighbors.

John: In my conversations and dealings with you I have found you to be a decent, honest person. So I will take your word that those two plastic bulls are a grave marker.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Dan

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:09 am

Dan: How about establishing a pet cemetery.

Eugene

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:34 pm

If you had gotten a bettter look, there is a granite head stone between them.

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:32 am

Sure Eugene. Riiiiiiiiight! :D

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”