This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Garden

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

New Garden

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:59 pm

I moved over the summer, and my new place does not currently have a garden, so I am going to have to sacrifice some lawn. I am considering spraying roundup on the grass, then tilling it under, then plant, but tought I'd ask the gurus here if there's a better way.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Re: New Garden

Postby Stanton » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:09 pm

As you probably know, the ideal time to start a new garden spot is in the Fall; plow and let it sit all winter. But I understand schedules; can't always do what's ideal.

I just turned over a strip a month ago to relocate my blackberries. Took about 3 weeks for the grass below to really turn brown. They seem to be doing well with no grass coming back up.

Don't know that there is a better way, other than just staying away from a herbicide. Happy gardening!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:31 pm

You should plow when the soil moisture is fit for plowing, regardless of whether or not you use Roundup. With that as a working premise, save your money and plow the garden plot and then work the soil into a good seedbed.

Using Roundup delays the process by seven days (it takes that long for the Roundup to complete the killing of the vegetation) before you can plow your garden plot. In my mind, the seven day lead time is of more value than the marginal benefit of the vegetation kill.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:46 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:You should plow when the soil moisture is fit for plowing, regardless of whether or not you use Roundup. With that as a working premise, save your money and plow the garden plot and then work the soil into a good seedbed.

Using Roundup delays the process by seven days (it takes that long for the Roundup to complete the killing of the vegetation) before you can plow your garden plot. In my mind, the seven day lead time is of more value than the marginal benefit of the vegetation kill.

Bill

Agreed. And after plowing, you'll need a tiller or pull a disc behind your Cub to break it up. Plowing alone will just turn over the sod and leave huge ridges and valleys.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:33 pm

Round-up dont work like it used to!!!---the best way is to plow it over, then munch it up with a big tiller!---I just did a small place for a guy ---sod lawn/ high fertilizer content/ and short grass,---a couple passes with the KK 72 tiller on the Harley, and it was ready to farm!!---I went low and slow ending up at 8 inches deep, so it will be good and no waiting! thanks; sonny

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:31 am

Depends on the size garden. Small I probably would just till it up. Large may be a different story. Your goal would be grass control not burn down. Roundup dries in about two hours on a nice day. Spray one day and till the next. Second, unless you intend to plant the whole garden at once why till all at once? If you would rather wait for burn down till only that which you intend to plant and wait for burn down on the rest. Roundup works best when the temperature is above 60 degrees. Vern

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:42 am

Thank you for all the replies. I won't be plowing; it will only be about 8 feet by 20. Will a good, thorough rototilling kill the grass? I was thinking of using the roundup because by rototilling I'm going to wind up with lots of root "chunks," and I'm concerned that they will re-root and I'll have a lot of grass in the garden.

I'm northwest of Chicago, so I'm not going to be putting any plants in the ground for at least another month.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:58 am

Considering the month, length of time, before first planting, I would go with the herbicide.

I wouldn't mow the garden plot, wait for any weeds to emerge, then spray, probably 10 or so days before I planned on tilling.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:34 am

bythepond88 wrote:Thank you for all the replies. I won't be plowing; it will only be about 8 feet by 20. Will a good, thorough rototilling kill the grass?

Are you going to turn the soil in some way before you rototill? Man, tilling fresh sod is going to be tough on both you and the machine. If you are not going to plow, I would turn the soil by hand at least. Then till.

You will probably end up with some fresh grass in your garden if you don't spray.

I would personally recommend staying away from the Round-up you get at Home Depot and get 41% Glyphosate from a farm store if you can. I have to partially agree with SONNY about Round-up not working like it used to. I think the Round-up sold to home owners in the small little containers at the box stores is dilute and not very effective on anything except dandelions growing in your driveway. 41% Gly sprayed at maximum legal strenth will kill mature trees!

Good luck.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:06 am

If you're going to wait another month before planting, you might get some black plastic to cover the whole area. That will kill the sod. Then rototilling might be easier.

Just a thought...
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:56 am

Thank you, Stanton, I didn't think of that. I will try the plastic.

Bigschuss, I will also go at it with a shovel before the rototiller.

Thanks, everyone for the good advice.
Michael Cummings

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Stanton wrote:If you're going to wait another month before planting, you might get some black plastic to cover the whole area. That will kill the sod. Then rototilling might be easier.

Just a thought...

Good idea! The plastic will be cheaper than the Roundup.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45

Postby grasser » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:39 am

I'd use the Roundup.
If you're like me, it's too wet to work the garden right now anyways. You can spray today and let it sit for a week (if possible). That'll let the sod start to die, making those clumps easier to break up with the tiller.
Justin

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”