This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to use a Cub-152 Disc Plow

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67235
Tractors Owned: '48 IHC

How to use a Cub-152 Disc Plow

Postby alfreema » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:51 am

OK, don't laugh, but I have never plowed anything in my life. My question is: How do you plow with a Cub-152 disc plow? By that I mean what's the path you make with the tractor?

So let's say I have a garden that I want the rows to run from south to north. The plow is on the right side of the Cub, so when plowing from south to north, it would be pushing the dirt over to the east.

1) Do I make the first pass on the west side of the field and work east, or do I make the first pass on the east side of the field and work west?

2) With the disc plow do I plow from south to north, then turn around and plow from north to south (each pass is a different direction) or do I have to make loop around the field and always go south to north (always in the same direction)?

I feel stupid asking this, but I just have no clue.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How to use a Cub-152 Disc Plow

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:15 am

There isn't going to be an answer without viewing the plot to be plowed.

I have a small sloped garden plot. I plow throwing the soil up hill. At the end of the furrow I drive around to the start and again plow throwing the soil up hill. This is not practical or efficient for larger plots.

Search the internet for laying out lands with a plow. There use to be one showing how to plow different sized and sloped plots.
I have an excuse. CRS.

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:22 am

OK. This land is dead flat and a very small garden (30' x 40'), if that helps. I'll use your "layout fields with plow" search term and see what I dig up. Good hint!

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:02 am

With a small plot as you described you can do exactly what Eugene recommended. Doesn't matter whether you throw the dirt to the East or West. You just pick one and plow one direction, raise plow, circle around and repeat. On a bigger plot, what I recommend is to throw the dirt to the East (starting on the East side). Then go to the West side and plow the other direction until East and West meet in the middle. This will leave a furrow in the middle that you have to work with the plow not all the way in the ground to cover.

You do not want to plow this direction every year, because you end up with a low spot in the middle and high spot on the outside. Next year you start in the middle and "bed it in" or "back furrow" to throw it the other direction. This will maintain a fairly level plot.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:04 pm

alfreema wrote:I'll use your "layout fields with plow" search term and see what I dig up.
Actually the suggestion on looking up how to lay out lands, fields, was for plowing large acres.

BigHoss' directions for plowing small plots works well.

Another consideration is the amount of room you have to turn around at the end of the furrows.

If the garden plot has been previously plowed, a walk behind tiller may be a better option than plowing, then disk harrowing and finally some sort of harrow to level the soil. That's a lot of passes with a Cub and will take several equipment changes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks guys! I'm going to use your recommendations. The PDF I found ended up being a technical version of what BigHoss was able to clarify in just a couple paragraphs. :) You guys are awesome.

This will be a brand new garden in what is currently just some unmaintained lawn. There are going to be plenty of roots to deal with, but from what I have read the disc plow will handle those well. It's sort of a sandy loam, and there shouldn't be much in the way of rocks at all. I don't have a harrow so I am hoping (and probably WAY wrong), that I can flatten out the plowed field with my small cultivator. It's sort of like this one (but it's not this one):

Think I can use the cultivator to level the plowed field, or am I just going to make a mess?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:25 am

Use the implements you have on hand to work the garden plot.

I use a 2 wheeled walk behind garden tractor to plow my largest garden plot. My disk harrow is a 2 wheeled garden tractor implement. Peg toothed harrow is a cut down section of a farm harrow. The disk harrow with peg toothed harrow attached is easily towed by a Cub Cadet garden tractor.

I'm mentioning the antique 2 wheeled garden tractors because their implements, except for the plow, can usually be easily modified to tow behind a garden tractor. Two wheeled garden tractors with implements are sometimes found at auctions or metal scrap yards and sell for less than $100-. Frequently as low as $10-.

I have a standard Cub tractor with IH disk harrow and plow and a section of peg toothed harrow that I used 2 or 3 times to work my largest garden plot. Found it faster and easier to use smaller machines and implements to work the garden plot.
I have an excuse. CRS.

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:24 am

Awesome! I don't have any smaller machines, just the Cub, but once I get the rear rock shaft and lift rod installed I planned on coming up with some solution for mounting that small cultivator. Shouldn't be too difficult but I was a bit concerned whether it would even do what I want it to do as far as leveling the freshly plowed garden. Sounds like it might just work. I will keep an eye out for a disk harrow and 2 wheeled garden tractor implements though.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:46 am

After plowing with the 152, a disc harrow will be necessary.
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:24 am

Another thought since you have the 152 disc plow - - -plow the garden plot. Then talk a neighbor who has a garden come in and level the soil. Some times, frequently, it's less expensive to pay someone to till the garden plot than owning, maintaining, and storing equipment that's used one a year.

Also it's currently garden planting time in central Missouri. Might still be sufficient time to prep the garden plot and get in some warm season vegetables. If you don't get the garden plot ready within the next couple weeks - go ahead and till the soil then plant a green manure.

Also now would be a good time to take soil samples. Find out what your soil needs to be a vegetable garden.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue May 13, 2014 11:18 am

I have a new Brinley cultivator like the pic. and have not gotten to try it out yet, its for the 917-H ac tractor that has a new sleeve hitch with it and also Brinley plow.---We just got over 2" of rain in the last 2 days and right now I cant put it on and make some passes to see how good it might work but will when it dries off enough to get in there again! thanks; sonny

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Wed May 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Can't say enough about the disc harrow after plowing….I bought one last year and just got to use it this spring….Mine did not have the "weight angle iron platform"that holds the cement blocks, I had to build a couple….A necessity for my use..Works slick….
In Memory of 58,286

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Wed May 14, 2014 7:06 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:Can't say enough about the disc harrow after plowing….I bought one last year and just got to use it this spring….Mine did not have the "weight angle iron platform"that holds the cement blocks, I had to build a couple….A necessity for my use..Works slick….

Do you have a Brinley disc harrow?

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”