Tying up Peas?

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:50 pm

First time growing sugar snap peas, I've cultivated them about 3 times now they are falling over. Do you tie them up or? They are not growing stringers like a white half runner bean so I don't see anything about them that is going to climb. Thanks

Re: Tying up Peas?

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:53 pm

I will support mine next year. Had a good crop this year and most fell over.

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:17 pm

If they are actual "Sugar Snap" variety, they grow to 5 feet. Some shorter varieties, are available (Sugar Ann, is one)
Ed

Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:52 pm

I used tomato cages for the first time to hold up peas. Worked well. Tomato cage in ground then planted 4 to 6 seeds around the outside.

Only problem was that I didn't space the tomato cages far enough apart. Set them side by side, should have spaced the cages about 3 feet apart.

Had a good crop. Actually got tired of shelling peas, then pulled up the rest of the crop, green manure.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:23 pm

Whoops I have 2- 30 foot rows. Guess I'll be tying them up soon and won't be cultivating them anymore. They are sugar snap. I just like playing with my planters.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:31 am

I always support my sugar snap peas with a fence. They run, climb and make lots of peas.

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:03 pm

plant peas on a 5' fence or livestock panels! thanks' sonny

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:22 pm

Steel T fence posts and baler twine.

Set up for asparagus is a T post at each patch corner. Run the twine at several different levels around the patch. As asparagus grows, every couple of days put the plants inside twine. At end of growing season, cut and drop twine and plants on ground. Rots.

Have used T posts and cattle panels for cucumbers in the past. Kind of a pain to set up and take down. Now use T posts and twine.