This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

harvest time!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

harvest time!

Postby SONNY » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:12 pm

Well--- almost! the onions are getting close! started on some of the shorter day length types today! ---they look good so far!---the long day and neutrals are still about 5 weeks out from harvest and the tops are waist high to me right now! (orsie poo works wonders)!! LOL! a lot of triple 13 in the field dont hurt either!
The sweet corn is knee high today and growing like weeds, (weeds are growing wicked this year too)
maters are setting green fruit and lots of it, so gotta hit the plants with the ole 13 bag also! gotta get some cages over some of the maters!
sweet taters have taken off growing and we hope for good crop of them!---planted late white taters the other day and they are up and running too! the first early spuds are the size of baseballs, so might have a good harvest of them as well!
Have one 200' row of Libby style canner pumpkins about 6 foot vines and setting pumpkins like crazy!! (NOT like I need that many, but sis was planting that day and no-one knew how much she was planting until they came up!LOL!!
Joy choy is looking good but I dont know what to do with it!----Virginia has it figured out so that is what counts!---will try to get some pics to post since it looks like maybe I can post a little again without being harassed by ads. so Id better make it count! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: harvest time!

Postby Jack » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:42 am

Sounds like your garden is doing real good. I put taters in barrels this year, as an experiment, they are growing great
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Didn't plant any onions, but Joann has already canned 50 quarts of green beans and frozen a couple gallons of bell peppers. Been getting some summer squash. Looks like my garden is going to be done earlier than normal this year, and I am thinking about planting some kind of green manure crop to hold the soil form washing, then mow and turn under in the spring. Just haven't decided what would work best in this area, about 70 miles south of St. Louis.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:08 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I am thinking about planting some kind of green manure crop to hold the soil from washing.
I'm sowing tillage or forage radish in garden bare spots. $2.65 a lb. Sprouts in 5 to 7 days. Sown at this time of year the radish bolts, won't form the long tap root but will provide a lot of green manure and ground cover.

September I will mow off the radish, probably till under, then plant another crop. The second crop will or should develop the longer, soil penetrating root.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:14 pm

Some guys are testing the radishes around here,--But they don't get them planted soon enough and nothing seems to come from it! ---I just rip 3' deep and moldboard plow here and works perfect for me!---It would NOT work for most guys so you have to go with what will work in your area.
last nights storm dumped 2.2 inches of rain here in a flood!---knocked the corn down but its starting to stand back up!---would have liked to have gotten the home grown plants transplanted out of the hotbed but I'm a day late on that!---more rain in the forecast,--hot muggy out there right now so I am kinda stuck in the house for the afternoon!---did get the 3-point hitch adaptor put on one of the AC - WD- 45 tractors!---need to put the Woods C-80 on it and mow what I didn't get planted, then was thinking bout moldboard plowing it under again and spray over the top with herbs. to keep fall weeds from taking over again!---got more orsie poo to spread on before I plow too so that can lay under the ground and rot all winter!
Taters can be grown in barrels/bags, or most containers that hold enough dirt but must have LOTS of water!---they say the Brits. grow them in bags for competition purposes!---sounds interesting!!!
When our rain does stop I think the heat will suck the moisture out fast ,---wind is doing a real number out there right now!
Neighbor says that I can haul water from his 10,000 gallon tanker for mu garden when it gets dry!---(he has it hooked to an well that used to water their hog operation and it is float control to the tanker!)
Not sure what else I will plant this late here other than turnips! thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:52 pm

rip 3 feet deep??? Here you would be 2+ feet down into hard pan red clay and rocks. Field wouldn't be useable again in my lifetime.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Last night we got another storm here!---an inch of rain/wind and my poor ole sweet corn torn down 2 nights in a row!! ---too humid out in the gardens to weed today!---last night before the storm we got some tomato cages put up and today 1 of them is across the road!---guess I didnt get stakes put ion that one!
top of ground is drying off tonight and rain is out of the forecast for several days! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”