This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plants growing

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Plants growing

Postby SONNY » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Now I have several mato and cabbage plants growing under the grow light.---also have a few sweet tato plants starting out, biggest one is a couple inches tall, matoes are a couple inches tall and getting strong stems and long roots, so I replanted them to bigger pots and by themselves.---have more cabbage coming up as well. --wanted to stagger starting time on them so that some could be for early eating and some for later.--that usually works.--also have a couple different varieties in the seed order that we are waiting for.
looks like next week they are showing -16 and around 0 for lows, AGAIN for us here! LOL! we had a lot of snowmelt the last couple days, but temp is taking a dive and high wind is setting in again!
How is things in you part of the world???---Got any seeds started yet?---Mar. 5 is our seed start date for this area and gives 6 to 8 weeks til our last frost date! However this year that may be different! lol! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Plants growing

Postby Jack » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:49 am

I have not started any seeds, to soon for my area. this year I am going to go to the local greenhouse and buy my plants, and the seeds that can be sowed directly, I have already, from seed savers exchange. I like there seeds, I never had any problem with them.
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Transplanted more plants to bigger pots today and got our seed order in the mail too. thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:09 am

Jack wrote:This year I am going to go to the local greenhouse and buy my plants.
I've been buying starts from the local nursery for several years. What I like is that I can purchase single plants or small quantities of various varieties.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:09 pm

Buying plants does give the chance to get more selection (if store has a large variety list) for small scale but with the # of plants that I use its a lot more cost effective to do the start-from-seed thing for me.---NOT the handiest way but for now it works.---also lets me get my fingers in the dirt in the middle of the winter without going outside in the frozen ground! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:25 am

when we had our greenhouse at our previous home, we started everything from seed, I really enjoyed that. here we don't have the room to start seeds, we plan on installing another greenhouse so we can start from seed again, that way we can grow the type of plants we want. maybe this year I will put one in.
good luck on your seeds sunny

Jack

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:53 pm

The onion was the last of 2014 crop and was used on Jan. this year.---Its laying on a JS book and after looking at the pic, realized it looks like a front cover pic!---It is the real onion!
the other pics are several days old and the plants in the picture are much bigger today! --some of them have been transplanted into bigger pots 2 times! thanks; sonny

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:10 am

looking good Sonny

White n Yella Fella
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70443

Postby White n Yella Fella » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Sonny...it looks like you may be winning the seed starting effort. We got them started but nothing popping up yet.

Good growing!
WnYF

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:51 pm

SONNY wrote:Image

The onion was the last of 2014 crop and was used on Jan. this year.---Its laying on a JS book and after looking at the pic, realized it looks like a front cover pic!---It is the real onion!
the other pics are several days old and the plants in the picture are much bigger today! --some of them have been transplanted into bigger pots 2 times! thanks; sonny

When I first saw the pic I thought the guy was supposed to be holding a giant onion from his garden. It made me think of thos hokey ads at first. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

White n Yella Fella
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70443

Postby White n Yella Fella » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:15 pm

It must be a Texas onion, eh? Everything is big over there...lol

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Geraniums have been transplanted. Only other thing growing is sweet potatoes. It will be mid to late April before I cut the vines. I use short pieces of vines to start the plants. March first for hot peppers, onion, a few cabbage. Mid March for bell peppers. Late March for tomatos. Generally start melons, squash, pumpkins and cukes late April but they don't really ripen quicker but I know how many plants I have. Average last frost is May 11 but I seldom plant much before Memorial Day. Corn seed price is going up but I plant a few early and hope. I start about 30 kinds of tomatos for a small roadside stand I have. Vern

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:39 am

I just put the onion on the seed book so it would show up better, BUT after looking at the pic I kinda got a chuckle out of it! lol!--Need to do some more transplanting in the next day or two! maters and cabbage are in the hammer-down grow mode! lol! ---might have to pick some frozen well rotted/aged compost from outside pile and bring it in to thaw so I can use it in the bigger pots!---this might get interesting between now and planting time! (after April 16 or so frost date ), then cover the plants with gallon jugs with bottom cut out!
I have more seed flats to start but wont until at least Mar. 5 or so, then it should give another round of plants to mature at later date spreading the harvest out a bit longer!---at least that is the idea!---may work,--may not! lol!
I also have a couple of cold frames outside that have sliding glass doors covering them and will plant them last!--had good luck with them last year!---they are made from a couple logs set in the ground and dug out then backfilled with compost part way , door over top , keep moist and you have LOTS of plants to put somewhere! lol!
Vern!---I have heard of starting sweet taters from cutting pieces of vines, but never tried it!---have a couple vines a foot or so tall right now! lol! thanks; sonny

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:51 am

If you try using vine cuttings try using two leaf nodes. I trim off all the leaves. The node below the soil which will sprout roots and one above which will of course have leaves. Sometimes more leaf nodes need to be used so as to have at least two inches of vine. They can also be sprouted in water and I have done that but prefer moist soil. I also have heat mats. Root sprouts will emerge in two to three days and in 10 days be fairly well developed. Time from cutting until rerady for transplant is 3 to 4 weeks. Around here we don't get the largest sweet potato crop but if using growing plants will do ok. I tried ordering plants but I think every seed company uses the same grower in Tennessee who will not ship until June 1 and by then the sun burns the sprouts. When digging the potatoes I keep a few vine cuttings from the nicest hills and sprout them for the next years mother plants. Keeping them on the porch which is cooler than the house means they don't grow much until brought inside about the 1st of Feb. Vern

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:11 pm

we start LOTS of seeds for our CSA plot.. so far we've just got 6 x 1020 flats of various onions under the lights. Hybrid tomatoes going in next week. everything stays in the house here until april, when the high tunnel gets warm enough. of course, it just collapsed under the snow load, so we may have to make other arrangements...

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”