This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Starting seeds setback

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28104

Starting seeds setback

Postby AllanD » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:05 am

I got my tomato and pepper seeds started a couple weeks ago as usual. Luckily I have a small greenhouse but still use bottom heat strips. I time it to get my tomato plants in the ground the first half or so of April here in central NC. So I check on them a few days later and only a few are sprouting up because mice got in there and dug up most of them. So put out a bunch of snap traps and got two the first night and every thing fine after that. Ordered more seeds and got them in pots yesterday. Damn little rodents. I'm keeping the traps baited.

Last years seedlings without the mice:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Starting seeds setback

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:12 am

I have found peanut butter works real well in traps. wrap some cotton or similar string loosely around the trigger and they will keep working to get all the peanut butter.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:16 pm

The mice and voles this year have been really bad here too!---I keep traps out all the time and also put out tomcat mouse killer!---also have a few real cats that live and get feed in the back shed!---they are wild cats, but as bad as this winter has been we have been feeding them cat food and put water in heated bowl so they don't go hunger! they do kill a lot of mice/voles and let them lay!---last year we didn't have near the rabbit damage in the gardens either!
You have a nice set-up there to start plants in!--- and sorry for the rodent damage! thanks; sonny

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jack » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:46 am

you have a nice setup there, and the seedlings look good
give yourself a pat on the back
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28104

Postby AllanD » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks, got the reordered seeds in the mail so will finish replanting this weekend. Yeah, I really enjoy puttering around in the greeenhouse in the winter. I keep a Key Lime tree in a big tub that I move out in the summer. Had enough limes for four or five pies last year. I built the potting table from Trex deck boards so it should outlive me.

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby clodhopper » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:17 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I have found peanut butter works real well in traps. wrap some cotton or similar string loosely around the trigger and they will keep working to get all the peanut butter.

Thats what I have found as well. Pack it in the little circle part of the trigger pan so they have to work at it.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”