This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Harvest time questions.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
lonnyb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Harvest time questions.

Postby lonnyb » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:58 pm

I planted a few items in my garden this year for the first time and have no idea on how to tell when they are ready to harvest.
Watermelon, Cantelope, Acron squash, and Musk-melon.
Any help/suggestions on how to tell when these are ready for harvest would be great.
Is one cub ever enough ?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:28 am

Everyone has different procedures. Mine are
Watermelon - put a hand on each side, and use one to thump it. A ripe melon will have a dead sound, with the vibration not beign transmitted through the melon very well. One still green will pass the vibratin through it bettter.
Cantelope and Musk melon I use smell, the stronger the smell, the riper.
Acorn squash, I ask my wife. LOL
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:45 pm

My uncle was a high school auto shop teacher. His best friend was a italian english teacher. When I was a kid I ask him what ripe was. His answer was ripe is just before rotten :!: Now that I am older I see what he ment. Almost anything bought in a store was picked way before it was ripe (still green). When you get to harvest your crops which you "vine ripened" you will love it.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:26 am

Hey Lonny...Cantelope and Muskmelons get that nice tan color as they're ripening. :D I agree with John and Cowboy though that the STRONGER the smell...the riper the melons :wink: . Although, don't let your melons git soft...by then they're rotten! :cry:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”