greenhouse advice

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.

Moderator: Team Cub

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

greenhouse advice

Postby tinnerjohn » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:35 pm

I had a small (5' X 7" ) greenhouse given to me, as soon as it dries up a little more my son-in-law is going to haul it for me with his roll-back. Can anyone suggest any reference material regarding greenhouse growing? I want to try a few veggies and flowers, next spring try starting plants. Google searches have my head swimming, there has to be a book or two with this info. I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I still find books easier to refer to. John

v w
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Re: greenhouse advice

Postby v w » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:29 am

I would suggest your local library. You will still find different ideas since different plants have different needs for optimum growth. However you will get some results using most any method. I have started plants for 60 years using a manure heat hotbed, a fabric greenhouse that was hard to heat on a cold night and currently have a twin wall plastic greenhouse, every one needing a bit of different methods. Tomatoes are ok with overnight temperatures down to forty and you will get a short stocky plant but I doubt you will find that printed anywhere. Commercial greenhouses use 65 to 70 since they want quick growth and people judge a plant by its height not by its maturity. Geraniums however are not very happy if the temperature goes below 50. Cabbage does not care. Does your greenhouse have automatic vent(s)? If not get them. They are only $50 to $60. Most all I use a greenhouse for is starts but have two tomato plants which have been producing for 10 days. In SW MI that isn't too bad. If you have any questions PM me and I will try to answer. Just wade in. Greenhouses can be fun. Vern

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:30 am

Thanks Vern. I'll probably be pestering you for more advice. I'm planning in recovering my small high tunnel also to extend my growing season. The rain last month raised Cain with the garden. Has it dried out up there yet? We were at the Threshers Reunion and I don't think I've ever seen rain and fields flooded like that. John

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:03 am

Contact your local Extension office. They should have lots of information available.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

2 Busy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 2 Busy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:21 am

That is a very small greenhouse. 5 foot by 7 inch. probably grow some radishes in it. haha

now a 5'x7' is still pretty small to grow much in. It is going to get hot fast. I figure it would work good for seed starting. but you will need a way to regulate the temperature inside.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tinnerjohn » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:59 am

I know that the space is limited, but the price is right and I figure I can get my feet wet, maybe invest in something bigger down the road. I appreciate the vent advice, that was one of my concerns since I'm usually not around to constantly monitor it. I'm trying to figure out how to use my ERTL Cubs for tillage and cultivation in it. John