This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Black Walnut Harvest, 2015

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Black Walnut Harvest, 2015

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:39 am

Another poor harvest. Very few nuts. Not enough nuts to bother picking up and hauling to the huller. Poor quality, less then 10% have filled out shells.

Local hulling season starts 1 October, ends first part of November. Most of the nuts have already fallen. Last year the nuts fell after the close of hulling season.

Neighbor who combines fescue for seed said that the frequent rains earlier in the year washed the pollen off the plants. He didn't combine fescue this year. Guessing that's what happened to the black walnuts.

$14- per hundred pounds hulled, this years starting price.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28104

Re: Black Walnut Harvest, 2015

Postby AllanD » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Sorry to hear that. I don't know anything about walnut culture but my grandparents had 30 pecan trees. I was pretty young but seemed to remember they said the trees seemed to produce heavier every other year. But I don't think they fertilized or supplemented zinc ever. You might call your agriculture extension service. If they don't know they could check with the state's land grant ag school.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:37 pm

Black walnut nut production is also every other year. Last year was the off year. This year should have been productive.

I have a couple of pecan trees that are just starting to produce. One of the pecan trees had two nuts on it.

I have sold nuts to the huller to pay the property tax on the acreage. Use to take one 3/4 ton pickup bed load, about $40- worth to pay the taxes. I put up a 30' x 40' shop building. Property tax jumped up an additional $100-.

There are a number of resources available to nut growers in Missouri. Governmental resources, a nut growers association, and a commercial firm providing information.

Nut production is one part of black walnut cultivation. Black walnut lumber has value and if the tree is veneer quality, of great value. Also some black walnut is utilized as fire wood. My son heats primarily with wood. His propane bill Is around $200- for a heating season.

Currently picking up enough nuts for personal use, to crack and pick out this winter. Picked black walnut meats sell for around $20- a pound.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AllanD » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:23 am

Sounds like you know what you are doing. I bet those nuts are a pain to shell. I remember while growing up that two of my jobs that took a lot of time away from my playing was shelling peas in the summer and shelling pecans in the fall. Both were then frozen. My job was to crack them with the hand operated lever thing and then we all sat on the porch and shelled them. Looking back they weren't bad jobs but at the time I got tired of listening to all the grownups talk because oftentimes the neighbors would be over to help.

As a woodworker I can appreciate the walnut wood. When I find really good stock I buy it just to have for future projects. Hope there is not much poaching of walnut trees up your way. It is a problem in some places. I guess it's the only time that we might be glad chain saws are loud.

AllanD
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby AllanD » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:23 am

Sounds like you know what you are doing. I bet those nuts are a pain to shell. I remember while growing up that two of my jobs that took a lot of time away from my playing was shelling peas in the summer and shelling pecans in the fall. Both were then frozen. My job was to crack them with the hand operated lever thing and then we all sat on the porch and shelled them. Looking back they weren't bad jobs but at the time I got tired of listening to all the grownups talk because oftentimes the neighbors would be over to help.

As a woodworker I can appreciate the walnut wood. When I find really good stock I buy it just to have for future projects. Hope there is not much poaching of walnut trees up your way. It is a problem in some places. I guess it's the only time that we might be glad chain saws are loud.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:37 am

Our tree is barren this year but other trees in the area have lots of nuts. We had enough last year so we don't need any. Vern

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 am

A weak harvest here in NY too, last year there were no nuts this year there are some but no where near as many as previous years, three years back the nut fall was huge lots to pick up all done one at a time :evil: , I do a lot of leaf clean ups the less walnuts the better not missing a thing here :D

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:52 pm

Spoke too soon I went to do a lawn today and found it was covered with walnuts and looking up at the tree there is lots more to fall , not looking forward to picking up all those walnuts .

RUSSALL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19344

Postby RUSSALL » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:03 am

Jackman wrote:Spoke too soon I went to do a lawn today and found it was covered with walnuts and looking up at the tree there is lots more to fall , not looking forward to picking up all those walnuts .

Try the Nut Wizard. It's a lot better than a rake or bending over and picking up by hand.

Poke here
http://www.nutwizard.com/?gclid=CMTC95W ... HwodnXcMPw

Russ
1979 International Cub (Artie),193 plow,22 sickle mower,144 cultivator,54a blade,59" belly mower,wheel weights
1944 John Deere B , A-3 B-3 two way plow.....Grandpa's Deere,Still can't find his FARMALL A

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:21 am

The Nut Wizard does a great job picking up nuts. Saves the backache from stooping over to pick up nuts.

There may be folks in your area who pick up walnuts, process, pick out, and sell the meats.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:34 am

Ha cool I did not know there were tools for picking up Walnuts , I 'm going to send the link to my customer possibly I can get him to buy it he likes things like that tool , would be cool if he bought it and spent his weekend picking up the walnuts :lol:

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:55 pm

A powerful back pack blower is an excellent tool for picking walnuts up, just start at the outter most drop zone walk in circles pushing the walnuts in to a big pile at the trunk of the tree then get you container lay it on the ground and start tossing the walnuts in , was super easy don't know why I never thought of the blower before :roll:

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:27 am

We have a bumper crop this year around here....Nuts everywhere......I have a few in my tree line that did well....Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:28 pm

Not a bumper crop here but I did pass a house today at the curb three 5 gallon pails full of walnuts and a sign "Free Walnuts" .

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”