This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

fall plowing

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

fall plowing

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 pm

I always like to plow my garden in the fall, and for the last couple years I have sown winter wheat on it. This is hill country and it reduces the washing from the spring rains we normally get, plus gives me the wheat to turn under without having problems with it sprouting. Unfortunately in the last 8 weeks we have had a grand total of 1 1/4 inches of rain, so I have been waiting for some rain to soften the ground. I was getting a little uneasy that once it finally started raining it would not stop for a while, so I went ahead and plowed it today. Our ground has a lot of clay in it, and was so hard that even with the 151 rear mount disk plow was a real challenge to plow. The ground rather than rolling over nice just broke up in big chunks. I don't get around real good on foot and figured I would have a problem walking a cross it with the seeder, so I put on the L28 disk, which has 2 suitcase weights bolted to it and went over the garden to break the chunks of dirt up some and smooth it a little. Even at that the clods did not work up very well, even going over it 3 times, but at least I got it to the point I could sow the wheat on it. IEven with wheel weights on the cub I got stuck a couple times, but always managed to work my way out. Now I just need some rain.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: fall plowing

Postby Stanton » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:30 am

I've been waiting to plow for the same reason; ground too hard and dry. At this point, unless we get some prolonged rains, I'll probably wait and catch a warm day early Spring and plow it then.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:16 am

Have been plowing mine between heavy rains, and today had to employ the WD-45 and 3-bottom snap coupler plow and do some serious ground turn-over! LOL!!! ---got rained out before I got done,---AGAIN!!!!!------ground hard and dry down deep (10" or so)---I plow around 12-14" with the 45!---cub and 6" plow will only go about 8",---then spin out! thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:45 am

SONNY wrote:.......-I plow around 12-14" with the 45!---cub and 6" plow will only go about 8",---then spin out! thanks; sonny
In this area 12-14" deep will be turning up 5 inches or more of red clay hard pan and rocks. 8 inches at most is all you want to go here, in some areas only 6 inches. And in some areas you just do not bother to plow. :( On the bright side my winter wheat is coming up.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:21 pm

I know I am blessed with good soil and it makes me happy!---even around here there are some fields not worth farming.
From what people tell me, this ground has never been turned over or farmed until I started 8 years ago when we moved in here.
Virginia has a sister living in Joplin and they had to have some dirt hauled in to have a small garden in the backyard!----clay + rocks was all they had and garden was not possible.
It rained all night here and there was no plowing here today!---wind was 35-40 mph overnight too!---looks like more on the way too!thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:22 pm

Looks like that after get a couple small rains my winter wheat is coming up nicely.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 pm

Got some more plowing done today,---bout froze to death!!!---its getting really cold here about mid-afternoon til dark, and after dark, no way I can plow without lights and my plow tractors don't have working lights!!---cant keep them working for some reason!----too cold to sit on there without a cab anyway!
Need to get the big plow hooked to the 190! it has cab/heater/and LIGHTS! LOL!!---Don't have time to get that unit ready this year, so I make do with what I have now! ---Hope to get done before Wed., when we are supposed to get another round of rain!---ground did plow good today here! ---I probably have an acre or so left to turn over!---guess the neighbor left me several feet more to farm so I need to get that plowed!---His new 48-row planter and his gps don't get very close to the property line, so he just left quite a bit of area for me to have to mow or farm, so might as well farm it! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Finally got about everything plowed for this fall.---might do a little touch-up's around the ends/sides in the spring. thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”