Canning Season, Anybody Else??

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.

Moderator: Team Cub

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 F Cub

Canning Season, Anybody Else??

Postby ctltmp » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Well the tomatoes are starting to come on hard. Last year was a bad garden year in this part of the country. Things look much better this season.

There's nothing like having your own frozen and canned fruit and vegetables when the snow starts to fly. Only problem is work, pickin, and canning is cuttin in to my play time working on the cub!

If you have any special canning recipes or tips and tricks we can all share a little.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Canning Season, Anybody Else??

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:46 pm

I vacuum seal fruits. Don't can vegetables.

Picked, quartered, and cored apples today. Dipped in salt water while prepping all the apples. Drained and put in gallon zip lock bags. Put in freezer until mostly frozen. Then vacuum sealed.

For fruits with a lot of juice, put in zip lock bags and freeze hard. Then vacuum seal.

Daughter is the family member who cans and uses the fruit to make jams and jellies. Reason I vacuum seal is that the fruit is stored in the deep freezer until daughter visits, sometimes 3 or 4 months between visits. When daughter is ready to drive back home, we load up her coolers with frozen fruit.

Have a dehydrator. Tried dehydrating vegetables. Results were okay. Problem is that it takes forever for the vegetables to dry.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mike H
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 49913
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:45 pm

put up 3 gallons of ''gravel berries'' [low bush blue berries] today
froze and vacuum packed

bumper crop this year with all the rain.

tomatoes are 6-8 weeks out yet, hopefully ripe before first frost this year

apple trees are loaded too :{_}:

Mike

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby ctltmp » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:16 pm

Good stuff to know. Apple time will soon be here for us. Love to make homemade apple sauce. Nothing better than an apple crisp in my book.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:55 pm

Have two apple trees, north south orientation. The apples on the south side of the southern tree are 90% plus ripe. Perfect for apple cobbler or apple bars. Probably another 3 or 4 weeks for the rest of the apples to ripen. Hopefully I can give away the excess apples.

Daughter cans vegetables. One reason wife and I don't can is that daughter brings us her canned goodies; pickled beets, pickled okra, jellies. She brings me oat meal, raisin, black walnut cookies and cherry pies.

Daughter is leaving for Iowa, home, tomorrow. She is taking home blackberries, strawberries, wild plums, apples, and black walnut meats.

Neighbor's wild plum tree was loaded this year. Picked the plums, boiled, and extracted the juice and pulp. Started out with 4 or 5 gallons of plums. Perhaps a gallon of juice and pulp from the raw plums.

Edit. My grandmother made cherry tomato jelly. Fantastic. One year she took the jelly to an American Legion luncheon. The jelly had fermented. Rave reviews on the jelly. Not sure if it was the jelly taste or the alcohol.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby ctltmp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:39 am

Eugene I figure it was more than likely a little of both!

We are just fortunate to have parents and grandparents that taught us how to can, preserve and make good on what we have. I see all of this quickly becoming a lost art.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:20 am

Parents and grand parents use to can everything, including meat, before family purchased a deep freezer in the mid 1950s.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 am

Made a bunch of strawberry jam, and froze some berries. Years supply of beans, are frozen. Waiting for the corn, for the freezer. Some pickles made. Even with the drought, the garden is doing well. I attribute that to the high level of organic material, in my soil. Cover crops, and horse poop
Edit, Monday, Aug.8, made some pickles. 87 degrees, in the garden, so I'm not out there!
Ed
Last edited by ScottyD'sdad on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:44 pm

I can a few things.....mostly a freezer guy....corn,peas and green beans....find a deal and go with it...Corn,,,I freeze husk and all....cook on the grill....Kevin :shock: :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Eugene wrote:Parents and grand parents use to can everything, including meat, before family purchased a deep freezer in the mid 1950s.

I have heard my father talk about canning meat when he was growing up--fresh cuts of pork and sausage as well.

I don't like country ham much but I would love to learn how to cure/smoke them, just to say I know how. Another dying art.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Super A wrote:I don't like country ham much but I would love to learn how to cure/smoke them, just to say I know how. Another dying art.
There are quite a number of "How To" on the internet. Local super market should have cures and brine ingredients, usually located next to the meat department. Some cures are located with the table salt.

A lot of the cured meat can be smoked on the BBQ grill.

I have a large propane fired cabinet smoker. When I smoke meat I usually do 30 plus pounds at a time. I have cured brisket and pork loin, smoked, making pastrami and Canadian bacon. Also smoked chicken liver, chicken, turkey, fish, pork, and beef.

To cure meat takes refrigerator space for up to 10 days. Brining meat, 2 or 3 days. The smoking time/cooking time depends a lot on thickness of meat. Can take from 1 or 2 hours up to 8 to 10 hours. I plan on taking one whole day to smoke meat.

OH! Months ago I bought a couple of pork loins on sale. Used a 12 to 14 lb loin to make Canadian Bacon. Thinly sliced the finished Canadian bacon. Gave some to son, some to daughter, kept some. All three suggested that I not make any more Canadian bacon for a while. It's great, it takes a while to use up that much bacon.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:46 pm

THat sounds good. The way I really wanna try is the way my grandparents and great-grandparents did--with no refrigeration and lots of salt and smoke. Just to say I could. I'd rather have Canadian bacon than country ham though!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:26 pm

FoxFire, a series of publications, had quite a number of articles on old time preservation of meat and vegetables.

Opinion, For the occasional user, no longer practical to salt then smoke meat in a smoke house. You can do the same thing in your refrigerator and BBQ or smoker in much less time and for less money. Questions. Do you have the container(s) and salt to bury the meat for weeks while it cures? Do you have the week or more to attend the fire to smoke and cook the meat?

There are several commercial firms salt cure pork, then smoke. However, their entire process takes months. Good results, but expensive.

Refrigeration, deep freezers, sealable plastic bags, vacuum seal, has replaced earlier, some if not most food preservation methods.

Edit: Daughter wants more apples, so we will pick and freeze another 2 two gallons for her. Wife has been going around the neighborhood telling neighbors, free apples, come pick, we will provide the picker on the pole and help put the apples in the plastic bag.

Hopefully we can give away most if not all the apples. Last time we had an abundance of apples, one family friend and his granddaughter took some of the apples. They made 10 gallons plus of apple sauce. And we were still going around the neighborhood trying to give away the rest of the apples.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ctltmp
Cub Star!
Cub Star!

Postby ctltmp » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:09 pm

Everything sounds great. We put up tomatoes this weekend. It's only the tip of the iceberg.....

I remember reading the old foxfire books as a kid. Was always an avid hunter and trapper with my grandpa. Those books held my interest and are full of good lure and stories about the old ways. In my mind they are still THE BEST ways. One day when all hell breaks loose these young folk are going to wish they knew some of these things. Basic skills required to survive and be self sufficient.

Some years ago some politician said people in these parts still "cling to their bible and their guns". To that I say.....your darn right we do.
WV Mike