This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Weedeating the tomato patch

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Weedeating the tomato patch

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:59 pm

It has been an unusual summer here. Started off cool and wet, then turned off hot and dry, then changed to hot and wet and stayed that way most of summer. Only got my tomatoes worked out once n the early summer, and since then it has been too wet and hot. Yesterday I rolled up the sprinkler hoses that had been laying unused in the rows for a month and a half, and got out my big weed wacker. I was getting tired of wading through waist high weeds and grass. Not it looks like a tomato patch again, just a green carpet between cages. When I finished I looked like a green Yhetti from the knees down.Unfortunately the tomatoes along with the rest of the garden are about done for.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Weedeating the tomato patch

Postby Stanton » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:43 am

I can usually hoe 2 or 3 times in early summer and that takes care of most the weeds until the heat hits. But this year, they win the battle (or I lost the fight). Either way, I fell behind and that was that. Put the disc back on Nellie and disc'd the garden last Sunday, then graded it with the blade. Now I've got no potato hills or furrows so the garden tractor can keep everything mowed down.

Bet you were green on the lower half after that much weed-wackin'!! :wink:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:51 am

Still mostly weed free. A six inch layer of clippings in June and my weed problem is mostly done. Garden is producing well this year. :D Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:48 am

Still have acorn squash and several types of ice box sized melons in the garden. I've been setting the squash and melons on bricks to keep them off the ground and from rotting.

Been giving away cantaloupe. Bumper crop.

To much moisture. The melons and apples are starting to split before fully ripening.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:11 am

I didn't plant the garden this summer since we are moving. But SE MI has been very dry from early July up until a couple of days ago. I may have even lost my raspberry patch. :( A late frost left me with exactly two jonagold apples. They were swelling up nicely until the squirrels got 'em.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Mike H
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 49945
Tractors Owned: IH 185
Farmall M
1972 SS12 retro fitted
1977 F150 pull truck
1978 F250 4x4 bush truck

Postby Mike H » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:11 am

no weeds so far this year [although we were inundated with dazy's :x then we sheet mulched :wink: ]
tomatoes are doing great, only watered wen the plants were placed.
just hope the frost holds off so they have time to ripen

Mike

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:58 pm

I only chopped our garden once this year cause it's been so hot & humid. I have weedeated it twice and finally sprayed it with round-up a couple weeks ago. My wife planted a lot of herbs in it this year in various places so the first time I weedeated it smelled really well, hey, they looked like weeds to me to!
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

cub.bub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Postby cub.bub » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm like John, cool wet spring, then a long spell of HOT and Dry. I ran 300 feet of 1-1/2" water line out back this spring and it seemed to have helped with most of the garden except my tomatoes are splitting bad.
I have been keeping up with the weeds pretty well thanks to my rototiller until things get to spread out then I use or Mantis.
Going to be canning this weekend.
Bruce.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Neighbors are cantalouped out. Today took 4 cantaloupe into the Therapy Center where I'm having my back worked on. Put the sacks with cantaloupe on the counter. Receptionist ask what was in the sacks. Cantaloupe. She said that she didn't like cantaloupe. I said that I'm pretty sure some one here likes and wants them.

I looked down the counter to the lady working a bit further away. She said that she had never eaten cantaloupe/muskmelon. Showed the melons and described how to prepare them. The whole time I was having the rejection conversation with the two ladies, the guy in the next area was laughing. I turned to the guy and said that if the melons were still on the counter when he finished with the therapy, take them home. He said thanks and that he and his family would enjoy them.

Sometimes you just can't get rid of excess produce.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”