This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

when to dig sweet potatoes

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

when to dig sweet potatoes

Postby brewzalot » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Can any of you experienced sweet potato growers give me some idea of when you know to start harvesting them? Mine started flowering a month ago, and are still green and spreading out. First frost for southern WI. is probably a good month and half off yet. Is it best to wait until a frost? I have more planted than needed so I would like to start digging asap, but don't want to sacrifice flavor or yield doing so.

Any tips/suggestions welcomed, as this is my first time growing them.

thanks
Tim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Re: when to dig sweet potatoes

Postby v w » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:34 am

You are going to get differing opinions. I will not disagree with anyone. Mine aren't dug until immediately after the first frost. Most first frosts are not hard frosts. I have used the vines with black leaves to start new plants which the following spring are mother plants. I root vine cuttings for plants not the potato sprouts. Regardless of when you dig them let them stand at least a week before using. They will be sweeter. Or eat a few immediately and some later and make up your mind. I'll go with whatever you like - they are your taters. :D avern

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:26 am

Ideally dig prior to frost. Not sure how cold it gets in WI when you get the first frost but cold and sweet potatoes do not mix. If you think they are close dig up a plant and see if they are the size you want. Whatever you do, they won't really be sweet until they cure. Storing them somewhere cool (not cold) and dark will cause them to cure properly.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks for the responses. If I leave them until closer to a frost, can they get too big or "over ripe" ?

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:57 am

brewzalot wrote:Thanks for the responses. If I leave them until closer to a frost, can they get too big or "over ripe" ?

Commercial producers like them a smallish-medium size and usually don't harvest the biggest ones, even though there's nothing wrong with them. If they get the size of footballs, they will take longer to cure and may not be as sweet but are quite edible. I personally like them about the diameter of my fist and smaller.....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Al,

I'll probably dig a few then to see how they're doing , as soon as it dries off- finally getting some rain.

Tim

brewzalot
5+ Years
5+ Years
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:55 pm

tators (640x359) (400x224).jpg

Super A wrote:If they get the size of footballs...

I thought you might be kidding, I guess not. That one is almost the size of a football.

We had our first couple of frosts so I decided to dig some- 20 lbs. from just the first plant I dug . Not sure how that racks up to the southern grown ones but I'm sure happy with them. Definatley going in the garden again next year. Lets see, 20 lbs. x 15 plants = will be giving quite a few away!

Tim

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:43 am

Congrats on your sweet potato harvest. They look good.

I have used a cardboard box lid, turn it over and put a 1" layer of sawdust in, then lay taters or onions on top and finish with more sawdust until almost covered. Put them in the basement (cool, dry place). They keep a good long time; through most of winter and certainly until Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners! :D

Enjoy eating your taters!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”