This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

gardens and plots for 2017

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: gardens and plots for 2017

Postby Bill » Fri May 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I must be lucky, have not seen a potatoe bug this year. Last year I could hardly keep ahead of them.
Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon May 29, 2017 10:58 pm

Been fighting tater bugs already this year! got lots growing, but don't know how long I can keep it all cultivated and weeded. Still have lots to plant, (some to re-plant too). The guy down the road gave me a pound of RR sweet corn seed and I been trying to get the planter cleaned up to plant with, but now the little planter tractor has taken a dump!---Got carb and tank cleaned out good, and now the ignition has quit!
Health has taken a turn for the worse, making it extreemly hard to garden, or anything else for that matter.--Had to do heart test and some other tests,-- but they cant find the cause of the bad chest pains ,weakness, short of breath.----whole left side has a weird feeling. thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:22 pm

Got the RR sweet corn planted today and a pound of donated onion sets!!---They will make good green onions late in the season.
Sis came this evening to help hoe the sweet tatoes, and we got 4 rows done and 4 rows to go! (second time hoed) . still need to get green beans in and the other sweet corn garden planted ,( Its not RR, but just regular corn).
Been carrying water to the sweet onions and cabbage,broc. , and cauliflower plants, still need to get some on the mater plants!---NO rain in sight and the grass crunches under your feet when you walk on it!
I have a small (550 gallon) tank in the dump trailer to "borrow" water from the guy across the road!-- He has a 10,000 gallon semi-trailer hooked to his BIG well and on a float to auto-fill it.--He fills his sprayer from the tanker.--it has a big pump on it and my little tank is full in a flash. He said to get as much as I need for the gardens and I always make sure he gets veggies in exchange for the water! ---He is a great guy, not many people would offer you free water, RR sweet corn seed or anything else now days!!
Taters are knee high and I am still pushing dirt up around the plants and putting fert. on them!--need to try to pipe water to them too.---think I might be able to run hose from the tank in the driveway to the rows and just let the water run down the rows! ( did this one year and it did work!)
Thats about it for now! thanks ; sonny

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:46 am

I had a nice stand of peanuts coming up until the @(@#* crows hit yesterday......

SONNY let us know how the RR sweet corn works. Been curious. Does it have insect resistance as well?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:18 pm

This only has the RR gene in it but there may be other brands that do have insect gene as well as RR genes.--I had a very little seed a long time ago and it's just as good as regular sweet corn!---The BIG problem right now is the fact that IF ya gotta buy the seed, it's something like $ 350. per pound!!!---- SPENDY!! lol!!!.---I was handed some from the water guy across the road! I had some regular field corn seed one year that was RR and it was great!---cleanest corn ever and the only work was plant and spray! ( well after ground prep. which was needed anyway) !
I didn't get p'nuts planted this year but had a nice crop several years ago!----A bad thing around here is chipmunks!----they hit corn and p'nuts in a bad way! thanks; sonny

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 am

My "afternoon showers, yesterday, turned into 2.2 inches of rain. Been difficult getting things planted, between the 2 inch rainfalls. TV news, couple of nights ago, informed us that the drought is over! Wow! Rocket scientists. Maybe they noticed that there are webs, growing between their toes!
An inch over the month's average, an we're only half way through it.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Our first rain in ages gave us 1.13" over a 2-day period ----something got on the taters and killed them, so now no taters for 2017 garden year!!---Bad bummer, looked like the best crop ever too! Got lots more planted and cultivated, so we see what we get from the rest of the garden!! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:59 pm

Still trying to kill/catch jap bugs,-- AND now the tato bugs have been on the eggplants, tomatoes, and other stuff as well!----It's the year of the bug!!!!!---Problem is they winnin'!!!!
Weeds are another major problem this year!
Still not much rain for the last couple months!----Still hauling water from the guy across the road to hand water some of the garden to keep it alive!!--- so far I have hauled 20,000 gallons to the garden and still hauling! Don't know what the weeds are living on!!!--- the more I chop out the more comes!
Have harvested the early onions and started on the mid-season kinds.---The water paid off on them,--a real nice crop with a lot of softball size onions out there.----We have chopped a lot of them up and put them in freezer bags and froze them for winter use.---We will store a few for fresh use but most will keep better frozen, or at least that is what we found.
Tonight we had the first green bean picking.--also had some broccoli picked and put in the freezer.--ate the first few and they were good so the next cutting went into the freezer as will more as it gets ready.
Cabbage has some nice heads coming on and the cauliflower looks to be thinking about starting to head.
The RR sweet corn has tassels and setting ears so hope the deers and coons don't destroy it.---Coyotes destroyed my one peach crop that was on a low to ground tree!---They have also killed all of our nice cats.
The lat, late, late tatos are not looking too good so probably wont get any from them either.---didn't really think I would.--cuces are just setting small ones so maybe we will have a few of them.
Thats about it for this post!---How are you guys getting along in your gardens????? thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:31 pm

Just got the last onion batch harvested today.--Had some cauliflower heads, (the early kind) and more are getting close to size that we harvest them ( usually 5x6 or no bigger than 6x8)--cut them up, bag them, and freeze them.
Have a lot of cabbage heads ready and have given a lot away.--green beans have been picked 4 times.--will plant a few more late beans and turnips for the fall crop. cuces are starting to come on in good numbers.
RR sweet corn is getting close to being ready!--sure is some wild lookin stuff!---several ears on each stalk!-- Hope varmints don't destroy it before we get some,---Planted 1/2 acre of it, so hope for the best!
Have some pics. to get on here as soon as I can!--Doctor visits about getting me the rest of the way down, so I not very fast this summer!
I have to resize the pics. and put them in the cub pic. album to get them on the thread here!--Photo-bucket has everyone locked out and won't allow third party linking unless you pay $ 400. per year! --- More later! thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:26 am

Planting 2 dozen hard neck garlic cloves shortly. Summer, fall 2018 harvest.

Local farmers market has or had garlic bulbs at 50 cents each. Purchased 1/2 dozen bulbs. Mailed 2 bulbs to daughter, used some in cooking, couple still on the counter for future use.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:02 pm

I don't think I had the right kind of garlic the time I tried growing it.---Might try again this year.---I love garlic and horseradish!

Just started on the RR sweet corn yesterday, and this stuff ain't half bad!!!! LOL!!!!!----got some pix. of it to get posted when I can grab a few mins. between all the Dr. and hospital visits/testing.
Broc./cauliflower/cabbage/eggplant and cucumbers all in production at this time and makes for lots of work real fast!!!! LOL!!!!----We are fillin' the freezers fast"N"full !!! Gotta do it for winter.--out here IF we get a bad one , at least we have food.-----We eat mostly veggies because the price of beef and pork is insane, (here anyway) and have been finding some good deals on chicken quarters/legs/thighs,--so we have a bit of chicken put away too.
Thats about it for this report, ----I will get more pix. put up !!!! thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:21 am

SONNY wrote:I don't think I had the right kind of garlic the time I tried growing it.
Had previously tried garlic and onions. They grew well. But after harvesting, was drying them, they turned to mush.

Asked the lady at the farmers market today if she knew what type of garlic she had sold. Said no, that they were from 6 samples, and the chickens had taken out the plant markers.

Lady said that I should have waited another month before planting the garlic.

Told the lady that I had only planted about 4 sq. feet of garlic and that if they failed I would only be out 50 cents.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Pulled and ate the seasons first sweet corn yesterday. Peaches and Cream is the variety.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:56 pm

Had my first corn, last week.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:13 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Had my first corn, last week.
Ed

You're about 2600 feet lower. You didn't beat me by much, though. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”