Dehydrate veggies.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.

Moderator: Team Cub

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Dehydrate veggies.

Postby SONNY » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Anybody ever tried it? Several people around here do it on all sorts of veggies., fruits, etc.
We did a lot of onions, apples,and bell peppers many years ago, with mixed results.---Our machine was a regular small round unit with no way to vary the heat and it seamed to kinda make a slightly burned taste in the finished product.
We just came into possession of a large commercial unit to try for this year.---This thing weighs 185 pounds and stands almost 4' high, 2' square, 24 racks and said to hold 16 pounds per batch. It has heat control an time controls that should be much better than the no heat control on the small ones.
The owners want us to dry some veggies for them, so we agreed to house the machine for the season. They want about the same stuff as Virginia does, so they said to keep the thing running and mak plenty with it. thanks; sonny

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dehydrate veggies.

Postby Eugene » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Owned a medium sized round counter top dehydrater. Tried it several times on fruits and vegetables. Results so so.

The unit had temperature control, stackable trays, and was much better for making jerky than drying fruits and vegetables.

Edit. Gave the unit to my daughter who has a decent sized vegetable garden. Wife and I don't grow a lot of vegetables, buy from the farmers market.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ajhbike
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub- Lorelai
1956 Lo-Boy FH- Rory
1951 Super C FH- Emily
1968 JD 3020- Paris
Woods 59 CLF
54A Blade, 54-L Blade, C-22 Sickle
C-21-P Sickle Mower
72" Rear Blade, Carryalls, Pallet Forks, IH 263 2 Row Cultivator, 7' Rake, Brush Hog, Horn-Draulic FEL

Postby ajhbike » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:03 am

We have 2 of the 10 tray units and my wife dries a lot of cherry and sweet 100 tomatoes till crunchy, jars them (no need for aseptic pack because Aw) and puts them on salads all winter. She also does apples and peaches and they are nice as well in winter and for cereals. I think she experimented with kale, but it didn't work out too well...maybe they need to be blanched first to deactivate enzymes.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Use to purchase gallon cans of dehydrated beef steak and pork chops when station in Germany with the Army. Convenient, much cheaper than fresh meat and quite tasty. At that time we didn't have deep freezers.

Other than making jerky, haven't dehydrated meat, but it can be done.
I have an excuse. CRS.