This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Home-made bread, not in a bread machine!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Home-made bread, not in a bread machine!

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:25 pm

Sourdough potato bread, 3 loaf recipe

Starter, first time only.

3 cups warm water, about 100 degrees F
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup Betty Crocker potato buds
½ packet of active dry yeast (make sure it’s well within the expiration date)

Get a clean quart jar, this will be the home for your starter. Pour warm water in the jar, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water, add potato buds, cover with aluminum foil with some holes punched in it and let sit on counter for 24 hours. It will get foamy and bubbly, the liquid will turn yellow/tan and air bubbles will burp out of the potato. Put it in the refrigerator for several days and take it out 12 hours before you’re ready to make bread.

Dough – all ingredients must be room temperature. I use a mixer with a dough hook, saves a lot of mess and kneading! This will make 3 loaves of bread.

7 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 ½ cup starter (stir your starter to get both liquid and potato)
½ cup corn oil
about 1 cup warm water

Stir the dry ingredients together, add starter and oil and mix. Add a little water at a time until your dough becomes soft but not really sticky. If it’s sticky or wet, add small amounts of flour until it becomes more workable. Knead the dough for four minutes. Shape dough into a ball, place in a large oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Put the bowl in a warm area, I heat the oven for a minute or two and put the dough in there to rise for 12 hours or double in size. Don’t forget to turn the oven off!

Feed your starter – dissolve 1/3 cup sugar into 1 ½ cup warm water, pour it in the starter. Add 1/3 cup potato buds and put in the fridge until you’re ready to bake again. If you don’t bake within 7 days, pour off 1 ½ cups of starter and feed as above. I switch to a clean jar every time I feed so my starter has a clean house to live in.

After the dough has doubled in size, sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and give the dough a quick kneading to work the air bubbles out. Divide into thirds. Flatten the dough to the size of the bread pan, place in oiled bread pans (oil the top of the dough for a soft crust) and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until at least even with top of pans. Remove plastic and bake at 350 degrees F for 30-40 minutes – the crust will become golden brown. Remove from pans and allow to cool for 15 minutes before cutting.

To make cinnamon bread – mix up 3 teaspoons cinnamon into ½ cup sugar (you probably won’t need quite that much for one loaf) and melt a tablespoon of butter. Roll out one of the thirds of dough to about ¼ inch thick and try to keep the dough’s width about the length of the bread pan. Coat the dough from edge to edge with butter, just enough to give something for the cinnamon/sugar to stick to, and sprinkle cinnamon/sugar over the entire surface. Roll up the dough like a jelly roll, pinch the loose flap to keep it closed and place in oiled bread pan. Brush butter on the top of the dough, then let it rise and bake as above.

I’m sure there are hundreds of recipes for sourdough bread, don’t hesitate to refer to on-line recipes or cookbooks for hints, tips or variations.

Enjoy!
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:22 am

Carl:

Sounds yummy, Em will like this I think.... :D

Btw. exactly what is Betty Crocker Potato Buds... :?: Never have laid eyes on that particular product...
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:53 am

Betty Crocker Potato Buds is an instant potato flake, not the powdered stuff. Powdered stuff didn't perform as I wanted. You could probably boil a potato, mash it (without the cream and butter and salt and pepper) and add it instead. It provides starch for the yeast to eat instead of using granulated sugar. Plus, it adds a nice flavor.
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:06 pm

K, got it. Almost any flaked potato product wil work then.

this is probably a must try..... thanks Carl, appreciate.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

littleflower
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby littleflower » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:41 pm

Carl,
I knew I liked that bread for a reason! I've been making the same bread since I was given a cup of starter years ago. Only I use regular instant potatoes and I don't get that yellow color to the bread. My starter originated from a neighbor when I lived in Missouri. I also have a recipe for a cinnamon raisin sourdough made with that starter. It's delicious toasted for breakfast. Do you have any other recipes that use that starter? I'd like them if you do.
Fleurette

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:59 pm

Try folding cheese cubes into the dough after the first rising - experiment with different cheeses to get the flavor and texture y'all like best. Cinnamon and just plain ole bread have been our favorites so, as a creature of habit, I stick with them.
- Louis Pasteur

400lbsonacubseatspring
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 400lbsonacubseatspring » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:02 pm

:D
Last edited by 400lbsonacubseatspring on Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:23 pm

Belive Carl big time. I had some of his regular and Cheese when he came to pick up the Graverly. It was great. The only problem was that it tasted like more

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:46 pm

This absolutely looks like a keeper. Carl ... very good recipe. You guys have such wonderful ideas on variations. Thanks for the recipe. Keep them coming.

littleflower wrote:Carl,
I knew I liked that bread for a reason! I've been making the same bread since I was given a cup of starter years ago. Only I use regular instant potatoes and I don't get that yellow color to the bread. My starter originated from a neighbor when I lived in Missouri. I also have a recipe for a cinnamon raisin sourdough made with that starter. It's delicious toasted for breakfast. Do you have any other recipes that use that starter? I'd like them if you do.
Fleurette

Fleurette... Do you by any chance still have that recipe for Cinnamon Raisin Sourdough?

If you do, can you post it please. I would really like to try it?

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”