This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

the creeper creeps

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13862
Tractors Owned: 154 LoBoy

Recently sold all my Cub Cadets
Circle of Safety: Y

the creeper creeps

Postby FrankenCub » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:34 pm

I finally got around to getting the creeper out of my 154 to fix it after this winter's plowing snow. The previous owner had been in it already to fix the planetary gears and pins that were broken when he bought it. I think the fix would have held up just fine but after taking the creeper off I noticed someone had cut the cap portion of the lower bearing retainer off. I filled the creeper when I bout the 154 and didn't know the tranny fluid was slowly seeping into the transmission. So apparently all winter there was no fluid in it. Now that I'm going to buy the parts to fix it, I'm not sure about the sun gear shaft will be acceptable to put back into service. I need to get a new low gear drive assembly and new bearing. Everything else looks good. The teeth on the sun gear shaft are worn, but no sharp edges or obvious chunks broken out. Something else I am wondering about is the parts manual. I have a scan of one page from a manual that shows a bushing that I assume goes into the low gear assembly, and I have a parts manual in PDF that does not show the same bushing :?
My creeper does have that bushing but far beyond worn out. In looking at different sources for the low gear assembly, none show the bearing or say it needs it. So what's up with that ?

Cap that has been cut off...

Sun gear shaft wear... and you can see how the PO fixed it to begin with

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: the creeper creeps

Postby FrankenCub » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:04 pm

After talking to Bob at Hamiltonbob's today it seems the bearing retainer shouldn't be an issue as he's seen a lot of them that had what looked like factory drilled hole in them in later tractors. I'll just make sure without doubt that the fluid level is higher, although it looks like the tranny fluid level will be much higher than it should be. I ordered some of the parts from him tonight but can't find a source for the bushing yet, it's NLA of course. I can measure the ID and OD when the parts get here but it leaves me without the right length, unless it is just flush with the low gear drive plate. It seems kinda funny that Case/IH would have the bearing dimensions on their parts site but none for the bushing. Probably no chance anyone has one they could measure ?
This is the bushing in question...

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 pm

If you have the part # you might want to check with depotparts.com and see if they have one.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks for the link, Bob. They don't have it either. So far every Case/IH search has turned up nothing available for that bushing. I can't even find a listing for the dimensions for it. I have use of a lathe so it would be no problem to resize an oil-lite bushing. I'm just not positive if that bushing also keeps #'s 4 and 12 in that above image separated some or if they do touch each other. What's left of my bushing looks like a flanged bushing but Bob said they are not flanged. So it must have wore to that shape.

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:43 pm

I took another picture for reference. There is a step in the bushing also, are they like that or has it been worn like that from being too long and pressed into the planetary gear carrier ? It may have been the wrong size to begin with after the PO "fixed" it.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:30 pm

I double checked and the part number for that bushing is IH-64793-C1, however, it's no longer available.

The parts diagram lists it as the Drive Plate Bushing. Also, just by looking at the dimensions in the drawing, and how it goes together, it looks to me like the bushing should go all the way through the drive plate, and be flush with the two ends. Honestly, I'd take the parts to a Lowes or Ace hardwarre and see if a standard bronze bushing will work. I've had a lot of luck with those two places. You might have to get a longer one and cut it down, but that's easy to do. Also, If those places don't work, McMaster Carr has a HUGE selection of bushings, and you can basically get anything you need from them. I've ordered some pretty odd Metric stuff (was working with a Honda engine) from them and had great luck. They're like Grainger, but definitely geared more to a mechanical side rather than maintenance.

Really, that gear reduction unit is pretty solid. I wouldn't be afraid to take your best guess at how it goes together and just making it work. Chances are it will be just fine. Those units were fairly simple, as is the whole tractor, so if it look right, it probably is. If it looks wrong, it probably is.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

FrankenCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FrankenCub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 pm

gitractorman wrote: Also, just by looking at the dimensions in the drawing, and how it goes together, it looks to me like the bushing should go all the way through the drive plate, and be flush with the two ends..

That's what I was thinking, but the "drive plate" as they call it has two different inside diameters. I thought my old one was just worn out but in looking at the pictures that Bob has on Ebay the new ones also have the same. I thought it odd IH would have only one end supported by the bushing but maybe the planetary gears on the other make up that side. I've been looking at McMaster and MSC today, NAPA may also be able to get something once I get the dimensions measured. I'll get it figured out once all the parts are here.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”