This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lo Boy 185 creeper rebuild

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
zs184706
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Lo Boy 185 creeper rebuild

Postby zs184706 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 am

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and had a quick question. (I did search for awhile in hopes that I'm not asking a question that's been answered in a previous thread). Currently rebuilding a lo boy 185 and am in the process of rebuilding the creeper drive right now. I decided that I want to go ahead and replace the bearing in the creeper drive due to excessive shaft play and am curious if it's necessary to press the gear assembly out of the housing to do so?

It looks almost like I can remove the double ring retaining clip on the front side of the drive, and pry off the aluminum bearing housing? I'm just nervous to start prying without knowing if that's the way to go.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! This tractor project has been a lot of fun (and very stressful at times). I think someone used mud instead of hy-tran unfortunately. But these are really cool machines, I can't wait to start working it this summer. I'll add some pictures of the project here shortly.

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lo Boy 185 creeper rebuild

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:53 am

You need the service manual for the tractor. One more post and you have access to the manuals, top left of this page. If the 185 service manual is not available on this site, you can purchase one from the advertisers on this site.

CRS, Can't remember stuff. It's been about 10 or 12 years ago, purchased a 154 from neighbor, 154 creeper was stuck in low.

Had to split the tractor to get to the creeper. The creeper repair was inexpensive. This is one of those while you have it apart things. Checked the brakes, worked on the PTO, worked on the flywheel brake, new hydraulic filter and fluid. And adjusted everything.

The whole process was labor intensive, parts cost, nothing that would break the bank. Few months after I had the 154 back together, neighbor asked me what I did. Told the neighbor the out of pocket, but then told him that if I had to have a shop do the job, it would have cost $1200 just for the creeper repair.
I have an excuse. CRS.

zs184706
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby zs184706 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Oh I know all about the labor intensive thing. I've completely split and torn apart the rear ends of both the 185 that I'm rebuilding, as well as the 154 parts tractor that I've got. the 185 transmission was bad, so I've pulled both transmissions in order to swap them. I've also gone through final drives, replaced brakes, pulled and gotten ready the entire hydrolic system and pto system to swap onto the 185. I just need to get this creeper bearing swapped out and install a new clutch kit and then start putting everything back together. I also went through the motor, adjusted valves, rebuilt carb, put all new ignition components on. I think I'm probably 50-60 hours or so into the project already. I've even gone as far as to sand blast and/or wire wheel the majority of the parts on the tractor and paint them.

Trying to upload some pictures, but having a hard time doing so. I'll figure it out eventually.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:39 am

Drop the pan. Don't trust anything before putting it through its paces. Maybe you already did. You've put a lot of work into that tractor. Removing the pan invites you to the world work of that engine. It is cool experience and before that, vacuum the floor, everything. You are opening the heart and fans off, dead still. Good lighting. You don't want to intrude into the bowels without something well come of it. You will find something there. Certain low form majesty and touch the piston rods for play and see into some bores. There is something and clean out the oil pump screen, clean the pan. You already did that-very cool !

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01756

Postby toehead » Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I just did the creeper on mine. See here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=100397&start=15

You don't need to press the gear out. You can get away with removing the pin holding the 1:1 drive gear in place, then removing the snap ring/clip from the front. The whole shaft will press out. I suggest replacing the bushings while you are in there.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”