Lo-Boy 185 Clutch Size

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kingfish9er
Zip Code: 75135
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo Boy 185

Lo-Boy 185 Clutch Size

Postby kingfish9er » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Before I begin my first post, please forgive my ignorance and lack of tractor knowledge. I have extensive experience in building dirt bikes, working on vehicles and maintaining an M1A2 SEP Abrams Battle Tank, but that's about as far as it goes :)

I recently came across what I thought was a good deal on a Lo-Boy 185 for $400. It runs, no smoke and the hydraulics work. The seller told me it had a new clutch, it just needed to be adjusted. It also needed a battery, so I couldn't test drive it there. In my excitement and sheer ignorance of tractors (This is my first one), I took his word for it, we pushed it on to the trailer and I headed home.

When I got it in my shop, I threw a new battery in it and it cranked up after some slow turns. When I attempted to put it in gear, they just grinded.
I went ahead and pulled the shaft cover off and saw that the springs on the pressure plate were depressed, the friction plate was worn and the pucks were melted.
So I went ahead and ordered a new clutch kit and pucks, but I didn't think to measure the clutch size. The clutch I got in the mail is 6.5"

My question is: Will the 6.5" clutch work? I mean, the rear pressure plate is 7"... I know the throwout bearing for the 6.5 won't work but everything else seems like it wouldn't be an issue. To me, it seems like maybe a bigger clutch would be better anyway - like an upgrade.

I hope I didn't get screwed out of 400 bucks, but I like a good project as long as it doesn't become a money pit. If anyone lives near Dallas, I am looking for parts for this thing so I can get it looking and running better.

Thanks,
Matthew J.
US ARMY (RET) DV
First and Only Tractor so far - Cub Lo Boy 185

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lo-Boy 185 Clutch Size

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Check out Hamilton Bob’s web site at the bottom of this page. He shows and sells the correct kit. Compare it with yours.
There are two clutches on the 154. Engine and PTO. Sounds like you may be looking at the PTO clutch.

Thank you for your service.
Last edited by Don McCombs on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Welcome. You didn't get screwed for $400-. Actually that's a good price for a parts tractor, so you done good.

After one more post you can access and down load free manuals on this site, Quick Links, top left of this page.

Suggest you purchase parts from the advertisers on this site. Parts fit, prices fair, service is good, knowledgeable folks. Hamiltonbob's specializes in the numbered Cubs.

Money pit, depends on if you use the tractor or not.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 am

This is the page you need. Notice that he lists the clutch size as 5.5"
https://hamiltonbobs.com/cart/search/dr ... lo-boy-mm6

The manuals would also help. Get your second post for access.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 am

The both the engine and PTO clutch have some very specific adjustments/measurements. Obtain or down load the Operator's Manual, Parts Manual and Service Manual. You will need the information contained in the manuals.
I have an excuse. CRS.

kingfish9er

Postby kingfish9er » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks guys. After some research, I understand there are many options on where I can purchase parts and get manuals. But my question still wasn't fully answered - I know it's the wrong size clutch, and I'm not trying to restore the tractor to OEM specs and drag it around to the county fairs - I just want to be able to operate it so I can clear some brush to make my kids a motocross track. So do yall think I would run into any major issues if I went ahead and installed the 6.5" clutch? I haven't even checked to see if it will fit on the drive shaft properly yet, but if it does - and the throwout pushes the springs down, do you think I'll have any future issues with the added weight on the drive shaft?
Sorry for being so difficult.

Thanks,
Matthew J.
US ARMY (RET) DV

kingfish9er

Postby kingfish9er » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:45 pm

I'm just going to go ahead and return this one and get the right part. I really didn't want to wait any longer but that's what I get for ordering the wrong part. Thanks anyway yall.
Matthew J.
US ARMY (RET) DV

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:59 pm

Glad you are returning the wrong clutch kit.

Clearing brush and making a motocross track. I own a numbered Cub, good lawn mower, not very good at anything else.
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:38 am

Works great with the tiller as well (if you have a creeper and 3-point)
Works good with the blade for pushing snow (if you have chains and wheel spacers)
Works not so great with the model 50 snow thrower. (Also need a creeper, chains and wheel spacers) I hear that the McKee 320 blower performs better.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:54 am

$400 r u kidding me you can find a cub cadet for that price lately, non running. My number 2 int154 cost me $400 its a parts machine but my project.

I used a sub soiler on my 3pt on my 154 to loosen up big rocks sticking out of the ground.
Plow dirt and snow. They can do more than mow, my local lawn and garden repair guy calls the 154 a mowing machine. With the plow, tire chains and wheel weights is a must with 8.3 ag tires, to put chains on the larger 16.1 rim turf tires you need the spacers.

On my number 3 int154 with the snow plow setup in high range the clutch would slip. I found out the pressure plate had one spring the other two were broken. She pushed snow in low range on one clutch spring.(creeper)
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

drarkanex
Zip Code: 38483
Tractors Owned: International 185 Cub Lo Boy

Postby drarkanex » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:10 pm

$400, you could throw about $1000 to $2000 at it and break even, you did well. Also, take note of your serial number. the last 5 digits tell you what year it is, there were some differences between the years, not major but just little fine details. get the service manual off this site and any other manuals you may need. if you worked on a tank, that tractor shouldn't be an issue for ya. I love my 1975 185