Loose Pressure Plate on Tranny

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ThomasWManson
Zip Code: 61102

Loose Pressure Plate on Tranny

Postby ThomasWManson » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:14 am

I am learning about my new 154, I posted an intro yesterday. I just brought her home the other day knowing that she had a clutch problem. I got the clutch removed today, the clutch disk is real bad as in the teeth are barely teeth anymore. I ordered a replacement disk from HamiltonBob not knowing what else I would need. The pressure plate that hooks to the tranny is real loose, and I can't tell by the diagrams I have seen what hooks it to the tranny. I would guess a bolt/key?? I do not have any parts manuals yet, those will be coming soon. I always like to have paper copies of manuals to peruse.

Tom Manson
Rockford IL
Cub 154 s/n 028110

ThomasWManson

Re: Loose Pressure Plate on Tranny

Postby ThomasWManson » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:50 pm

Little update here. I jacked up the ass end of the tractor and removed one wheel to get under there and see what the Clutch Plate-to-tranny mount looked like. I see that it is a split shaft with a bolt thru it. The bolt I am seeing does not look factory, it looks shiny and small, like it has been recently replace. The guy I bought it from did not seem to remember what repairs have recently been done, hmmm. I have not yet removed that bolt because it looks like I will have to remove a fender to get access to the top side of the bolt.

I jacked up the tractor with a jack under the hitch plate, when I removed one of the tires the whole thing the whole thing tipped over sideways. Oops, rookie mistake. We live, thankfully, and we learn.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Remove the panel located between the operator's calves. Perhaps you have already done so. This should give you access to the clutch. No need to remove tires to work on the clutch.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ThomasWManson

Postby ThomasWManson » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:16 pm

Oh yeah, that panel came out first then I was able to get the clutch assembly out. Now I have the 'loose pressure plate on the tranny' problem. I removed the right side panel an I don't see that it is giving me access to see that bolt head. The left side panek does not look like it would help either. The trans brake stuff appears to be held on by two bolts, removing it would most likely give access to that bolt from straight above, but I don't know if I can get those bolts out given the limited access of the gear shift slot right above it. Might I have to remove both fenders, seat and seat mount to get to that bolt? It will be interesting to see what the bolt/pressure plate/shaft looks like once I get there. Always an adventure!

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:17 am

Yes, remove the fenders and seat for wide open access.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

ThomasWManson

Postby ThomasWManson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:25 pm

So I removed the seat and the upper sheet metal along with the fenders and viola, I can now see all the goodies. I removed the trans brake and saw the loose bolt on the Rear Pressure Plate Flywheel, after removing it I saw the flywheel was very badly worn on the bolt mount so I ordered a new one from HamiltonBob. The input shaft looks pretty good, maybe a little galled from the flywheel rocking around so much. Steiners had one for much cheaper but Bob had given me advice so I gave Bob the business. With the sheet metal removed I can see the tractor has had a tough life. There a few spots where welding has been done to repair the frame. Bob told me to look for the front two transmission mounting bolts, I saw none. After scraping off the crud I found the bolts broken off in the case. I was able to remove one of them easily, still working on the other one. So what goes between the frame rail and the trans to hold the bolts? I could not see anything in the parts diagram. I would just machine a spacer block so the frame to trans has a solid connection via the bolt. Just looking down at the thing and eyeballing the bolt holes I can see that the trans is skewed right probably 1/8"-3/16". When I get that last broken bolt out and put her back together I am almost thinking of loosening all the trans mounts to allow those front bolts to line up.Bad idea, good idea?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:41 am

Since you are this far along, check the brake lining, on the right side at least.

Did you wedge the front end before the tractor tipped over?
I have an excuse. CRS.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:56 am

Good idea to straighten it out. I think there was a big thick washer used on the front transmission mount. Should be close to 1/8" thick.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:27 am

My first 154 the clutch/flywheel rattles im sure the po stuck a bolt and nut inplace or the hd roll pin. I’m working on a shoulder bolt to replace the roll pin. The bolts with threads wear out quickly. I’m sure it can be done.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.