compression

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
al715
Zip Code: 54015
Tractors Owned: Cub 185 lo boy w/creeper
54 blade
60" mower
Case 448
JD 325
JD LX 266
JD 525
To many others to mention

compression

Postby al715 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Hi every one. I was wondering what is considered good compression on a 185 lo boy, I got mine running it runs real good does not smoke does not miss but does not have the power it should, it has a hard time pulling it self up hills, any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks - AL

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: compression

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:31 pm

OK. Easiest thing to do is take the dry then wet compression tests. Post results. Then we will tell you what we think.

120 psi very good, 70 very poor. In between, some where between great and overhaul the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:49 pm

First put seafoam in the oil and gas. Run one tank of gas with seafoam in it. Your valves are sticky. Then check the compression. Seafoam will lube and sticky valves, free stuck rings, reseat the rings, melts sludge, it works. Your rpms will pick up proving it’s working.

These older flat heads get dried out valve stems from sitting.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

al715
54 blade
60" mower
Case 448
JD 325
JD LX 266
JD 525

Postby al715 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:24 pm

OK thank you very much I will do both and let you know what happens, thanks again.

AL

al715
54 blade
60" mower
Case 448
JD 325
JD LX 266
JD 525

Postby al715 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Hi again, I got thinking how much sea foam should I put in the oil and the gas?

AL

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 pm

al715 wrote:Hi again, I got thinking how much sea foam should I put in the oil and the gas?
Internet search for the exact amounts if you are going to measure.

I just dump some in the gas and some in the crankcase.

Edit. Seafoam will help with sludge, doesn't work on a well worn or out of tune engines. A complete engine tune up and compression tests.
I have an excuse. CRS.

al715
54 blade
60" mower
Case 448
JD 325
JD LX 266
JD 525

Postby al715 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:08 pm

OK I'm back, I just did a compression test on the 185 and was kinda surprised, 1 was 120 , 3 was 120 plus
4 was 122, 2 was 122 plus. I was happy with this, now I'm going to do the sea foam and things should get better I would think. Any other ideas how to pick up a few Horses?

AL

Glen
5+ Years
5+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi,
It looks like the compression is good.
I don't know if you have tuned up one of them before, here is some info.

The spark plugs and ignition points have to be good for the engine to run good. Old dirty spark plugs, and burned points can make the engine run bad, or have less power than normal.
There is also distributor cap contacts, and the rotor, burned contacts interfere with the electricity going through.
Spark plug wires have to be good, old ones don't always work good.

An important thing is, the ignition has to have the timing set using a timing light. The timing being off can make it have less power.

Below is a listing at TM Tractor for new points and condenser. You can look at the pic.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/367fp.htm

Below is a page of their electrical parts, The cap and rotor are in the 2nd row down from the top.
There are ignition wires on the page also. There are magneto parts on the page, disregard those.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/el/el_001newparts.htm

Below is the 185 LoBoy owner's manual. It has lots of info. The experts on here recommend people read the owner's manual. There is a table of contents beginning on page 1. :)

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... index.html

Below are pages from the regular Cub owner's manual showing the points, and the gap for them.
There is no pic in the 185 owner's manual, that I saw.
To replace the points you need a short screwdriver, with a sort of wide blade, and a small open end wrench, for the nut at the end of the point spring. Don't tighten the nut hard, it is not metal under the point spring, it is a plastic insulation. They can break, then the system can short there.

You also need a good light, and a chair to sit next to the engine, unless the mower is there.
I put a large towel below the battery ignition unit, to catch small screws I might drop.
The left side of the page has magneto info, disregard that.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-30.jpg

This page has a pic of the Battery Ignition unit, someone has written the wrong number on it for the point gap. It is .020, like is said in the manual.

http://farmallcub.com/rudi_cub/www.clea ... age-31.jpg

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 am

On a 185, all the pony upgrades have been done. Pop-up pistons, Zenith Carb, larger manifold, etc. Timing is everything!
Your 185 should have no issues mowing up and down reasonable sloped hills in second gear. Transitioning from flat ground to hill you should hear the governor open the throttle to maintain the RPM's. If not, start looking into the HOW-TO section for Governor repairs.

Some people say a horse or two might be able to be gained.
- Pertronix Ignition (maybe a HP gain, but it is a huge reliability boost)
- Shave the head
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:02 pm

I put a 1/2 can of seafoam in the gas tank and half can of seafoam in the crankcase. On these tractors. If it’s been sitting for years I put one can in the crankcase.

Seafoam isn’t a engine rebuild in a can nor a tune up. You will know it’s working by the idle rpms picking up. It’s more noticeable after mowing.

These mowers don’t like tall grass. I do two cuts if I forget to mow.

Compression testing. A wet compression test, tests the valves, a dry compression test, tests the rings. Do the dry compression test first. Then squirt some motor oil in the cylinder to wet test it.

A camshaft having worn lobes can also effect the performance of the engine. I seen this happen after a valve job was done the before and after compression test numbers matched. The engine was running rough. After a new cam was installed you could put a full glass of water on the air cleaner without spilling it while it was running. Those new cars with the electronic with the diagnosis gizmos don’t tell us everything.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

mozer71
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:18 am

Thanks BigBill . This is particular good information. Lobes baby, every one of them !