Greetings from a new 185 owner!

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ephillips2582
Zip Code: 37354

Greetings from a new 185 owner!

Postby Ephillips2582 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:53 pm

Hey y’all! I acquired a 1975 185 last week. For free! Owner of my company was willed it about...22? Years ago. Sat under a pole barn up until 6 months ago when it was moved outside in the elements. I mentioned I could put it to use mowing my 2 acre yard and 4acres of pasture. He agreed it would have a better home with me! About 10 years ago It was fooled with for half a day and got running, and was used to mow the 2 acre property it was on. Then sat for the last 10 years. So I’m slowly working may way through it. It’s spinning, but not getting any spark. I love projects! And can’t wait for her to be up and running!

mozer71
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 22650

Re: Greetings from a new 185 owner!

Postby mozer71 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:46 am

"the elements" is particularly bad. There are interlocks/switches which are procedure but also protection in a different way. A lot of harm can immediately happen if the engine isn't prep'd for running. Even if you got it spinning, realize what crap is being pulled in. All that has to go. You have to start fresh and feed this baby with clean nutrients. Perhaps your oil pump is primed and maybe not. Read the advise here and save your engine. The drive train is another subject. Lubing all the joints is another thing too. Who knows the condition of the HyTran and if there is water in it. It's going to be some work at first but you will find out later how much you avoided.

T-Mo
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '44 B
'47 Cub
'50 Cub
194 Plow
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby T-Mo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:16 am

Welcome to the forum.

MikeEyre74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 06063
Tractors Owned: Standard Cub 1949
Lo Boy Cub 185

Postby MikeEyre74 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:38 am

I’ve got the same machine, that I just picked up a month or so ago… I am slowly working my way through it as well, with many projects already done and many more to go. It definitely takes a lot more tinkering than a standard Cub, but they are pretty cool.
Standard Cub, 1949
Lo Boy 185, 1975

Ephillips2582
Zip Code: 37354

Postby Ephillips2582 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Thanks y’all. Truth be told, I’m a tinkerer (albeit a mighty good one), but not a mechanic. But also don’t have the funds to pay anyone to do it all. Which also leads to the problem of, my wife won’t let me spend money to change all the fluids without proof of life. In other words, if it’s a project that won’t bleed ya dry, get the fluids. Without it starting, don’t know the cost to bring her to life. If she cranks and runs, then I can. Happy wife, happy life right? Lol. And sadly, there just aren’t many YouTube videos on these.

I’ll give you a run down on what’s been done thus far. Cleaned carburetor, got all lacquer removed, cleaned fuel bowl, removed and cleaned fuel tank, inspected entire air system (will need new hoses, but not imminent), replaced spark plugs (wires look great). This is when I tried to start her. She cranks reeeaaaal slow. Not nearly fast enough to generate a spark (she spins normal when all spark plugs are unhooked). So nothing but spins slowly. Began going through distributor, cleaned it out, set points to .020, then used an 80 year olds tractor trick and separated the points with a screw driver to see if I get an arc, yes I do. So I know I’m getting power to the distributor. I know I’m getting power to the starter and voltage regulator. That’s when I decided to open up the starter generator. Dirty inside, but otherwise looked great. I’d say brushes are at least at half life.

So that’s where I currently am. Fuel system is cleaned and ready. Air system is good to go. But not getting any spark. And again, it cranks real slow when plugs are hooked up.

Any and all help is tremendously appreciated.

And I know about the manuals. But have to post more, with approval, before I can thumb through them.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Prime the oil pump as previously suggested.

Compression tests, dry then wet, before you go any further.

Move the battery ground cable from the sheet metal to the transmission cover.

Spark from the coil when opening the points, no spark to the plugs - secondary ignition problem. Clean rotor, distributor cap, cap towers, check plug wires.

No spark could be that the distributor is not timed to the engine. Can check with timing light.

Edit. The numbered Cubs with the starter/generator are slow cranking.
I have an excuse. CRS.