PTO stopped working

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rcupka
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 48176
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

PTO stopped working

Postby rcupka » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 pm

The PTO vibration got so bad that one time when I was using it the PTO just quit and it was done. Parked the tractor in the barn and have just today got to taking it apart. Removing the pulley and cover and noticed that the rear cam lever was out of the clete, the cleat was bent over and the arm on the cam was cracked and worn badly.

Thinking that was the reason why it was not working I continued to disassemble it and found all of the drive lugs on the friction plates to be completely worn off! they were almost smooth to the circumference of the plate itself. The drive cup itself looks good with no visible wear and the spacers, wave washers, etc... all look like new.

The cam had all three balls in it and it worked correctly and when locked up the balls snapped into their locked position. All bearings felt fine, nothing is rusty or corroded? I continued to look for a root cause that would have cause the initial problem, but I am left to guess the root cause? I purchased the tractor from the original owner, an elderly woman that always had the service done at the dealership but it is possible that it was misassembled.

While I had the clutch on the bench I clamped the PTO mount into the vise and rotated the shaft and noticed a small amount of run-out on the shaft. I assume a minor amount would be taken up by the design tolerances of the drive cup and the friction plate lugs which would allow minor movement. Does anyone know if there is a spec on shaft run-out for this assembly?

I also noticed when I was looking up parts at Hamilton Bob's that they sell a PTO Lever spring. There is/was no spring on my PTO lever, rod or arm, Is there supposed to be?

Thanks for any experience you can lend, If you think Pictures would be helpful I will post some tomorrow

Dick Cupka
1949 Cub
1972 Lo-Boy 154
1964 Cub Cadet Model 70
2005 New Holland GT20

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Re: PTO stopped working

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:29 am

Review the parts manual. There are an awful lot of parts to make up the PTO clutch. Having a few missing parts would not be helpful!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: PTO stopped working

Postby BigBill » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:26 am

There’s wavy spring washers between the clutch plates? Any pics would help. It’s an easy setup to work on.

Check the twin belt pulleys up front sometimes the bore of the pulley will fret on the pto shaft. I bought one 154 the po rebuilt the engine it was the pulley on the shaft that fret.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.