Starter not turning today - temp 36 outside

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jhvanriper
Zip Code: 45202

Starter not turning today - temp 36 outside

Postby jhvanriper » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:42 pm

New owner here.
I Got the 154 delivered Wednesday and was looking forward to changing oil etc and loading it up to go from my house to the mini farm.

It turned over slowly Wed and TH but today I hear the starter solenoid clicking and I hear the starter occasionally make a try but no luck today.
Added jumper cables to the battery and still no luck.

It has a 12 v battery. Not sure if the system is 6 or 12. It is a 1974? 154. Can't read the plate to confirm.

Thoughts on steps to get it started?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Starter not turning today - temp 36 outside

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:55 pm

It's a 12 volt system. The numbered Cubs with the starter/generator crank over slowly. There is an oil pressure switch on the oil filter housing - the engine won't start until oil pressure comes up.

Start by checking the battery condition. Clean up all battery cables and terminals. Move the battery ground cable to the transmission/differential.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jhvanriper
Zip Code: 45202

Postby jhvanriper » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:30 pm

FYI - I ordered a new starter from Amazon. It delivered today and looks good. Now ti install it.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm

jhvanriper wrote:FYI - I ordered a new starter from Amazon. It delivered today and looks good. Now ti install it.
And you diagnosed the problem before ordering the starter/generator?

If the problem was the starter/generator, you most likely could have repaired it for $15-.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:10 am

I clean the armature and install new brushes if it needs it, remember to check the bearings too. Clean the contacts in the regulator.

My biggest problem was the ground wire. When I re wire it I’ll run the ground wire to the s/g mounting bolt then to the frame. The old wiring seems to go bad too. I plan on ripping out all the wiring and start over with it all new and soldered.

Even my fcub had a butchered wiring system. The PO tried to install a 12 volt alternator. It wasn’t charging. After removing many feet of useless wiring I got it charging.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.