154 stuck in gear and shifter forks

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
hokies_1986
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17201

154 stuck in gear and shifter forks

Postby hokies_1986 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:12 pm

Common stuck in reverse gear/can’t shift issue. While the issue has been commented on in this forum previously, I thought I’d try to give back by sharing some of the lessons I learned this weekend. I didn’t have to split the tractor, didn’t move the clutch, didn’t move the engine, remove the 3 point, or remove the PTO on my particular 154. Here’s what I did:

Pull the seat, battery, fenders, and driveshaft cover as you would expect.

Disconnect the hydraulic return hose from the transmission cover.

Remove the transmission cover & shifter. Lift the cover to get the pipe out of the transmission while rotating 90 degrees (270?) to get the short edge of the plate past the PTO shaft.

Inspect the shifter fork bracket. In my case, the U shaped tang that wraps around the Rev-1 shaft had failed and fallen into the transmission.
I jacked up the rear and removed the left tire so I didn’t have to reach over the tire to work. Makes changing the oil easier too. Use jack stands – be safe.

Using a ¾” wrench, remove 2 bolts holding the clutch brake assembly to the front of the transmission. Access on the left side between the hydraulic pipe, PTO shaft and frame is terrible, and barely enough room to turn the wrench. Some have commented that there is a shim between the bracket and the transmission but mine did not have one. I took the opportunity to clean up the threads, shaft, and free up the clutch brake buttons which were frozen to the bracket.

Carefully clamp vice grips to the shaft, and using a dowel and hammer, strike the jaws of the vice grips from behind, knocking the shaft forward out the front of the transmission. Find the welch plug that just fell on the floor because you weren’t expecting it to move so quickly. Sliding the shaft forward using the space between the back of the pressure plate and the front of the transmission creates a big enough gap in the transmission to get the broken shifter fork bracket off and the new one on. I scored the shaft a little – pretty soft – but cleaned it up with emery cloth. Check for burrs. No need to worry about losing the detent springs and balls because the shaft doesn’t have to come all the way out. After bolting the new one on, I centered up the shifter forks.

Temporarily install the shifter cover with 2 bolts and check the gears move properly.

I checked around the gears with a magnet but couldn’t find the broken part. I tried to open the drain plug, but it was stuck and starting to round off. So I opened the hydraulic tube fitting below the transmission and drained the oil, figuring I would find it in the oil. It was not. I chased the tubes to the filter and to the transmission without finding anything. Finally, I removed the hydraulic filter and there it was! At first I was surprised it travelled as far as it did, but in hindsight, maybe not.

Installation is the reverse of assembly. I reused the welch plug – seems tight - we’ll see if it holds. Check and adjust the clutch brake buttons.
Consider refilling the transmission before installing the cover as I think it would be quicker than using a long funnel through the fill plug in the back. I was surprised at how much water came out when I drained the transmission. I’ll drain the mower lift cylinder (true lowest point) next.
My clutch brake buttons are worn pretty far, but I need to mow so I’ll replace them this winter. The nuts had backed off messing up the clearance (0.010”), so I added a jamb nut. The buttons are so short when nuts are tight the bracket is in a slight bind downward that you can see in the pictures.

Hope this helps. Comments are welcome. Thank you for all the articles, opinions and information on this forum that helps me keep the ol' 154 going.
Attachments
IMG_3712a.JPG
IMG_3711a.jpg
IMG_3710a.jpg
IMG_3709a.jpg
IMG_3708.jpg
IMG_3706a.jpg

Duner
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 00000

Re: 154 stuck in gear and shifter forks

Postby Duner » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:06 pm

Thank you for the write up, very helpful with excellent photos.
Where you drained oil from hydraulic feed line mine started a small drip a week ago onto the cement floor.
Have to clean mine up to see if I can find out where leak is coming from.
On my brake buttons I drilled and tapped them to 1/4 by 20 and put short stove bolts in to shim them out as a temporary fix. That has been a couple of years now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:00 pm

I replaced the clutch on my #3 int154/with creeper. Luckily I had purchased the new parts for my loader project. I had what I needed in-house. The 154 is older so I moved the engine forward.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

hokies_1986
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 17201

Postby hokies_1986 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:57 am

Duner, I disconnected the hydraulic pipe from both ends and degreased/lightly wire brushed the mating flanges and threads while i was looking for the broken part. Some corrosion on the sealing surfaces and junk in the threads probably would not have sealed good. So far, no leaks, but I do need to take another look, Thanks for the comments.

seanthenry
Zip Code: 41051
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo-Boy 154 1969
Cub Cadet 1000 series 2005
Kioti 3510 2018

Postby seanthenry » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:49 pm

My two bits of advice when doing that job.

Place a large magnet over the hole for the detent and spring. I used a half inch neodymium magnet.

Second when removing the shaft use a piece of rubber to protect the shaft so you don't have to clean it up. I cut a section of diesel fuel hose (3/8 id) and cut it down one side so I could pop it over the shaft.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Don’t forget to weld those two bent tabs before installation on the fork
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.