This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Orchard Fenders?

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
findmeoutside
Zip Code: 49009

Orchard Fenders?

Postby findmeoutside » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 am

Thinking about orchard fenders or extensions for my fenders, to make my 154 a little safer for my kid to ride on. Anyone have any tips/ done this to their numbered cub?

Thanks for any input
FMO

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: Orchard Fenders?

Postby SamsFarm » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:40 pm

Children are not supposed to ride on fenders!
1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:23 pm

My last ride on a tractor fender was not a pleasant experience. I'll not go into detail but I'll lucky to be alive. I've never ridden on a tractor fender since and no one rides a fender on any tractor I've driven since.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:12 pm

Danger enough driving one. I went to start my 154 I thought it was in neutral. The ice bar chains were on it. I was standing next to the rear tire. It was in gear and threw me to the ground and I moved out of the way as it drove into a snow bank. I’m very careful now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

findmeoutside
Zip Code: 49009

Postby findmeoutside » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:04 pm

Nevermind, I will look for options myself. My kid rides on my lap, not the fenders. Thanks anyways....

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 43015
Tractors Owned: Cub Lo Boy 154
Cub Lo Boy 185

Postby ibdilbert » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:55 pm

So nobody has any answers? Also interested to make the tractor safer for my kid.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm

ibdilbert wrote:So nobody has any answers? Also interested to make the tractor safer for my kid.

I believe there are already sufficient answers posted above.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Lo Boy 185

Postby ibdilbert » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:40 pm

"I believe there are already sufficient answers posted above.".

You think so? I don't see any answers, so I guess I need to clarify. It was asked if there was any advice (tips) on orchard fenders. That question wasn't answered, just remarks on what is safe and a few people assumed this guys kid would be riding on a fender and as he said, his kid rides on his lap.

I assumed he just wanted extra coverage over the tires like I do, to keep the tractor a bit safer. The stock fenders on these tractors don't really give you much protection, an orchard fender would. Albeit my kid is 17, a little more coverage over the wheel would be nice and I feel a bit safer.

As for BigBill, did you really think it was a good idea to start your tractor, standing next to it? LOL Did you use one foot to push down the clutch to activate the clutch safety switch, or do you have that disabled?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:16 pm

findmeoutside wrote:Thinking about orchard fenders or extensions for my fenders, to make my 154 a little safer for my kid to ride on. Anyone have any tips/ done this to their numbered cub?

ibdilbert wrote:You think so? I don't see any answers, so I guess I need to clarify. It was asked if there was any advice (tips) on orchard fenders. That question wasn't answered, just remarks on what is safe and a few people assumed this guys kid would be riding on a fender and as he said, his kid rides on his lap.

The question is about adding the fenders to make it safer for his kid to ride it. I guess I will try to answer it this way using page three of the 154 owners manual.

He is specifically asking for ways to make it safe to add a passenger. I doubt you will find many members here who would advise or give tips that would go against the safety precautions laid out by the manufacturer.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:32 am

Putting aside the passenger issue, I have never seen orchard fenders for a cub although it would be nice if there was some horizontal coverage. You will probably have to fab something.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:10 am

I didn't answer because it is just not safe at all.
As a teenager, I have ridden the fender of a JD 4010, 4020 (has huge fenders) and did once fall off while the tractor was under way.
I was lucky not to be run over by the tractor or bailed by the bailer. You just never know when the ground will give out under the tractor and try to swallow the machine. Ground hogs are really good at their job.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Lo Boy 185

Postby ibdilbert » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:40 am

Alright, I'll approach my response this way. It's awesome that you guys want to give this guy advice, that is what this forum is about, advice and information. And personally, I have no doubt that you guys have a ton of information and knowledge that is valuable and I'm typically excited to see it shared. So I'm going to pass some of my own advice along, I get the feeling your not going to listen, but maybe someone, sometime will.

When someone asks a question and you feel it may be unsafe, it is still ok to answer it, but with a bit of couth. And the safety concerns should be priority, as you guys have addressed.

Your answers would of went a lot further had you just simply answered the actual question (regarding orchard fenders), then followed with some safety tips.
Jumping right into snarky responses about how unsafe something is and not even answering the original question just makes you guys look snarky and quite honestly, rude.

Had you simply answered the question, then followed it up with "BTW, not sure if you are thinking about letting the child ride the fender, but it is not safe, here is why....", it would of been received a lot better and the guy probably would of respected you and listened. Then I gave you guys a second chance to answer the question, with my scenario, and you still continued to give snarky responses.

Quite frankly, your guys answer was in a way, demeaning to this fellow. He asked a question and you guys basically told him he was stupid and not keeping his child safe, then you left it hang. You may of not meant it that way, but that is the way it came across. Do you really think this guy is going to listen to advice like this?

So I write this as friendly advice to work on your communication a bit. I understand the forum is about information and advice, but coming across rude doesn't do anything but run members off.

toehead
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01756

Postby toehead » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:15 am

:Dito:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:46 am

toehead wrote::Dito:
Not so ditto. Legal ramifications for providing advice that leads to an accident.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ibdilbert
5+ Years
5+ Years
Cub Lo Boy 185

Postby ibdilbert » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:04 pm

Legal ramifications for providing advice that leads to an accident.

You must of missed the part where I wrote...

Had you simply answered the question, then followed it up with "BTW, not sure if you are thinking about letting the child ride the fender, but it is not safe, here is why....

And I am poking at this a bit with a chuckle because I work for a rather large court system and understand the law a bit better than the average person. As long as your not intentionally providing unsafe advice your fine.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”