This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Governor adjustment

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
technova
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53809

154 Governor adjustment

Postby technova » Sun May 28, 2006 11:20 am

Does someone have a better explaination of the governor and idle speed adjustments for the C-60?
I have a 154 and cannot get over 1900 RPM out of it. In the service manual it says 2450 +-25 RPM.
The governor never kicks in when the tractor is under load, it will kill (if bogged enough) with no attempt at increasing the engine speed no matter what position the throttle is in.
It has far, far less governor cross shaft play than my 49 Cub (which works fine) so I don't think that's the whole problem.
I went thru the service manual instructions and attempted to adjust the governor linkage, low idle screw on carb, max speed stop screw and the
governor spring screw but it had no effect. I am using a Milton auto tach gauge set on 4 cyl. to check RPM.
I had not messed with the idle mixture screw as I felt it was not important until the others were right.
Any ideas???

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

gov.

Postby Boss Hog » Mon May 29, 2006 10:54 am

Sounds like you need to pull governor off and see whats stuck
david
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby technova » Wed May 31, 2006 10:46 pm

I took it apart and nothing is stuck. After I got it back together I thought to try pulling on the carb linkage rod, when I do I can get it to 2500 RPM, maybe beyond if I was bolder. The rod pulled back against me to a slower speed so the governor is at least working.
Any other ideas why I can only get to 1900 RPM and the governor doesn't
bring up the RPM's under load?

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed May 31, 2006 11:23 pm

Someone may have replaced the original high speed governor with a slower Cub governor. But you did determine the governor works when you manhandle it. Is there too much play in the linkage between the governor and throttle to keep the governor from opening the throttle?
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

technova
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby technova » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:12 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:Someone may have replaced the original high speed governor with a slower Cub governor. But you did determine the governor works when you manhandle it. Is there too much play in the linkage between the governor and throttle to keep the governor from opening the throttle?

There doesn't appear to be too much play, it is far less anyway than my 49 and the governor works fine on it. Is there any way to determine what speed governor is on it?

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”