This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Loboy steering wheel

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

154 Loboy steering wheel

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Tue May 30, 2006 11:52 am

OK. This is a dumb question but I could not figure it out and I did not want to break anything so I figured I would consult with the experts.

I need to replace the main wire harness on the 154 (wires started to fall out of sockets and crumble). So I started to disassemble the dash so I would have easy access prior to the harness arriving and ran into a problem removing the steering wheel.

I removed the nut and washer holding it on and thought “man this will be easy” :oops: :oops: . Big mistake for thinking! I then tried to remove the steering wheel and it would not budge. Worked on it for a minute but decided against possible causing bigger problems. :evil: :evil:

So my question is should the steering wheel just slide off, screw off or do I need to get a steering wheel puller?

Thanks for putting up with the dumb question.

Chad
'51 Cub and a 60's Cub Lo-Boy

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue May 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Chad: I have no experience with 154 but on a regular cub the steering wheel is held in place by a key which fits in a groove. You might try applying a penetrant for a day or two. A set of pullers should then allow its removal. I usually place a block of wood on the underside of the hub and tap it to loosen the wheel. Dan

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Tue May 30, 2006 1:40 pm

Chad,

This isn't a 154, but the idea should be the same. It's hard to find a way to use a puller on a steering wheel with covered spokes. This is how I got the steering wheel off my 1941 Ford 9N. There was no damage to the covering at all, as there would have been from using heat or impact.

I used a long piece of aircraft cable to make the wrap to distribute the force. I was successful removing the wheel that probably hadn't been off for more than 63 years. :D

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Tue May 30, 2006 2:21 pm

Thanks guys!

I will hit it with penetrating oil again and wait a little while then try a puller.

Just didn't want to break anything without at least knowing how it should come off. At least then I will know what damage I have done when something breaks :D

Chad

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue May 30, 2006 3:29 pm

Chad, probably not wanting to hear this, but on one of my 154's we had to pull steering wheel, same reasons, however, even with puller, it wasnt gonna budge. Ended up breaking it off and relpacing.

DuxburyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DuxburyFarmall » Tue May 30, 2006 10:10 pm

Thanks Doc.

Well if it comes to that so be it. The steering wheel is cracked in many different spots so it wouldn't be so bad to replace it at some point anyway.

Chad

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Wed May 31, 2006 3:17 pm

Chad I have seen the wheel removed by wedging your knees up under the wheel thread the nut to flush with the top of the shaft and using a lead hammer or something that will not marr the threads tap on the end of the shaft. That 154 had been sitting out for a few years and it can off fairly easy after a few solid blows. Good luck Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”