This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Lowboy 154 Power loss when mower is engaged

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
vortechx
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Lowboy 154 Power loss when mower is engaged

Postby vortechx » Mon May 14, 2007 7:57 pm

Hey Guys
I have just purchased a Cub Lowboy 154 and it seems to have plenty of power until I engage the PTO for the mower deck.When the mower deck is engaged the engine looses power and it is Impossible to cut grass.I took a compression check and 3 of the cylinders had over 80 lbs and one had 50.Any thoughts as to what the problem might be?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 14, 2007 8:03 pm

What seems to be good power is really not. With compression readings like that I would not expect a lot out of the engine. What you can do is go over the deck to make sure there is no excessive drag in any of the spindles. Fine tune things as well as you can. Tune up, valve adjustments etc. but with only 50 pounds of compression on 1 cylinder I wouldn't expect a lot.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon May 14, 2007 8:54 pm

I agree, it sounds like the engine is just plum worn out.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue May 15, 2007 8:09 am

The first thing i can think of is the mower deck?? Are the bearings ok? Does it turn really easy?

Is the engine hot before you engage the mower deck?

Before you do anything checkout the mower deck first. Grease it too. Check out the idler pullies and the mule drive setup on the rear too. Even one tight pulley can put a real drag on the engine too. Check the mower blades to see if anything is wrapped around them.(barbed wire/steel wire) My tiller this year picked up some 1/4" tubing so anything is possible.

Second I would tune up the engine and check the timing.

Over the winter it sounds like a rebuild is needed too on the engine.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”