This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Electrical problem on Cub Lo-Boy 154 - *solved, that was EZ*

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 888 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:20 pm

Eugene wrote:Now that is funny. Well, not really.

One guy at work said that his A JD wouldn't start. Drug the tractor 1/2 mile down the road and back home trying to start it. Took a coffee break. Went out and turned on the fuel petcock.

Eugene

Well, I never thought to try pull starting.

I never thought there would be such a thing installed. Nothing I've ever worked on before had one.

Actually, it is pretty funny. I was just trying to stop a leak. Did a fine job, did I not? :lol:
1974 Cub 154 Lo-Boy project - I know cars and trucks but I am a tractor rookie, please be warned !!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 888 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:26 pm

Into Tractors wrote:I had hoped to get a picture of Joe driving it, but that would be a little hard to do as the steering wheel is off, and the dashpanel dangling from the steering column would make that a little hard, plus the clutch wouldn't release?

He did a great job of troubleshooting. Once I mentioned a few things to check in an earlier PM this week, and got his answer, he was able to find some more electrical problems and correct them.

As far as the clutch goes, I'm hoping that it is just seized up to to it been sitting for a long period of time, or needs some adjustments?

Got to tell you BD, the engine itself runs great now. Compression seems to be fine, no apparent leaks (other than the sediment bowl which Joe is going to fix by just replacing the entire assembly as it is in really bad shape) and I couldn't really see anything else wrong with the exception of the clutch not wanting to release.

Heck, it took 5 minutes to put it all back together, I've had lots of practice. I should have shut it off, put it in gear and restarted, you could have gotten your photo. I still need to figure out why the steering column won't let me bolt down the dashplate. Another mystery I'll look at while checking out the clutch problem.

I do need to run a real wire to the coil and get rid of the jumper, do they make a 3 way spade connector? I need something like that.

It does run well, I was delighted that the throttle cable I put on worked. I got a free screwdriver when I took it out of the governor linkage......it was a Craftsman even.
1974 Cub 154 Lo-Boy project - I know cars and trucks but I am a tractor rookie, please be warned !!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:56 pm

888 wrote:I do need to run a real wire to the coil and get rid of the jumper, do they make a 3 way spade connector? I need something like that.

I spend several winter afternoons rewiring my neighbors 154 in a nice heated garage with a well stocked refrigerator.

Suggest getting the wiring diagram for your Cub. Then studying the diagram for several hours - until you understand it thourghly.

I would rewire as necessary - required - if in doubt replace. The 154 is a pain to rewire. I had to remove the dash to get to the wiring. The major expense was time to replace, repair and straignten out the wiring. The actual wiring supplies cost less than $20.

3 way spade connector. Auto parts store or Radio Shack should have them. I'n not sure you are going to need one.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 888 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:48 pm

Eugene wrote:
888 wrote:I do need to run a real wire to the coil and get rid of the jumper, do they make a 3 way spade connector? I need something like that.

I spend several winter afternoons rewiring my neighbors 154 in a nice heated garage with a well stocked refrigerator.

Suggest getting the wiring diagram for your Cub. Then studying the diagram for several hours - until you understand it thourghly.

I would rewire as necessary - required - if in doubt replace. The 154 is a pain to rewire. I had to remove the dash to get to the wiring. The major expense was time to replace, repair and straignten out the wiring. The actual wiring supplies cost less than $20.

3 way spade connector. Auto parts store or Radio Shack should have them. I'n not sure you are going to need one.

Eugene

Thanks Eugene. I have had the schematic for the tractor for a while, I bought a used harness on eBay partially to get the schematic that was so nicely included but the part of the wiring that was at fault was something I had already found to be broken and fixed.

It was only through having everyone ask enough questions and trying enough of everything else that I sat down with the schematic again and tore everything I had previously done apart and re-metered all of it. That was the key.

There isn't a lot to the harness. I have a lot of extra multi lead/multi color 24 v control wire at work and looms to match, I could probably run a single cable between the dash and the engine and take care of most of it.

I'll look at the wire thicknesses and think on that a little more but it seems like the easiest thing to do.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”