This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stump the Experts, 184 style(FIXED)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:20 pm

I dried off the plugs and plugged the wires on each plug, layed the plugs on the maniflod loose, then cranked the engine. Each plug has a nice blue spark.

Yep John, checked the spark, but I'm not sure how to check
form the plugs at the right time?
If the correct order is 1342 and I have them in that order on the cap, clockwise, how can it be off, or am I not seeing something?

I keep going over and over, thinking I might be overlooking something but I just can't see it. The guy that owns the cub said the same thing. He just couldn't figure things out. It shouldn't be that difficult to find the problem :shock: .

Rick

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:23 pm

pull #1 plug, and check when coming up on TDC. make sure #1 plug fires when #1 cylinder reaches TDC. The plugs should fire 1-3-4-2. right around the cap (clockwise from the rear).
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:26 pm

Rick.......I'd try the starting fluid. John.......he did mention blue spark at plugs. If it won't start with a little starting fluid.........it ain't gonna' start. I'd agree to placing your hand over the carb to check vac. Sounds like you got the combustion triangle........someone mentioned safty switches?
Last edited by splicer on Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078
'75 ford 2000

If you think you can or you think you can't...your right
- Henry Ford

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:28 pm

Gas to the Carb, spark to the plugs (bright blue), timing is correct enough, compression is excellent...Seems like the most logical explanation with what you've stated is no gas to the combustion chamber. Will be interesting to see what new gaskets do. By the way, is the manifold badly warped, or cracked?
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:36 pm

I know this is very basic, but also easily overlooked, Is the gas fresh, and is it gasoline and not something from the "wrong" can? If there is fuel, spark, and compression all at the correct time, it has to run.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:37 pm

what aobut valves, it only takes one leaking intake valve to prevent starting.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:43 pm

John.......I was just thinking about the valve train, as that was what prevented my dad's from starting when we got it. Your always thinking!
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078

'75 ford 2000

- Henry Ford

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Rick, with my 184, I had a hard time starting it and I discovered that the fan pulley was creating too much resistance. I forgot whether or not it needed lubed, or what. I removed the fan belt and it started. I know it sounds screwy, but that's what happened. Larry
The majority of men live lives of quiet desperation- Henry David Thoreau

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:56 pm

Thanks Bill,
Did you hand coke with the hose off the carb as a shade tree way to check for vacume? When I see the circle on the palm of my hand and some gas I get a clue or two.
and yes, when I went from the Zenith 184 carb to the IH trencher carb, the air cleaner hose no longer fit the smaller IH carb, nor did the choke cable from the Zenith. I held my hand over the opening just to choke it temporarily and there seemed to be plenty of vacuum.

When I started today,the cub was out of gas from setting this summer, so I went up and filled my 2 1/2 gallon plastic can with fresh gas, so that's out :D

The head looks good, and I now have the manifold completely cleaned up. It looks like it was slightly warped in the center between 2 and 3 exhaust, but now it's flat and ready to go back on, soon as I get some gaskets from TM. Just seems like it should have popped or something, the manifold wasn't that loose to completely fail, I don't think.

Somehow I want to check the timing between the crank and the cam, to make sure things are where they're supposed to be, just for piece of mind, since the obvious hasn't shown up with everything else.

Rick

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:58 pm

I know this would be a stretch, but is there a blockage in the intake or exhaust, either not letting enough air get to the carb, or preventing exhaust from getting out. Since the engines use such little gasoline, either could bind it up easily and keep it from having enough air to fire on.

Another thing. On the 63 lo-boy I had the exact same thing. Cranked and Cranked and it just would not fire. Turned out that the on/off key switch was not making contact. That should eliminate the fire, which is why mine would not fire, but it gets more to the point of ignition switch and safety switches. Sometimes you think you have bypassed them, but one is still tripping you up.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:59 pm

Rick I'm thinking vacuum leak had the same problem it had spark was in time and plenty of gas. But it would run on starting fluid. Give it a shot of starting fluid and see what you get.
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:07 pm

but is there a blockage in the intake or exhaust, either not letting enough air get to the carb, or preventing exhaust from getting out

Bill, I'll check the manifold better tomorrow. I looked into the ports and didn't see anything, but guess I should blow air through to make sure. This thing sets in a barn, so the mice could have some homes built inside the muffler maybe.

Once I get it back together, I'll try the propane or starting fluid trick to see if anything happens.

Rick

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 pm

Hi Rick,

Mine went through a spell one time where I had to put my hand over the carb to act as a choke and it would start. Wouldn't do anything till I did this. It had real good suction too. Wouldn't ever do anything with the tractor's choke on. Had to hand choke it. Just a thought.

JimT
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

splicer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby splicer » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:12 pm

Jim.......I think he's been there........done that. We're all waiting with abated breath to hear the ending of this epic saga, If it's got Rick stumped............
'57 Lo-Boy # 5078

'75 ford 2000

- Henry Ford

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Rick:

Time for some silly input from a knownudink...... but gonna give it a shot.

Now this is on a mag equipped Cub.. but should be similiar to a distributor, cause it does have to do with timing. Could the rotor be off one tooth :?:

It was with Granny. Cecil and I played with that for a couple hours.. precious time when you only have basically 2 part days to play... Didn't matter what we did. Coil, points, rotor, condensor, plugs, TDC, check for compression and not exhaust stroke.. we did it all.

Then Cecil said.. I wonder if it was the same thing Bill mentioned on the Zagray Power Unit.. rotor off one notch. We said nah.. that couldn't be it. Played some more.. still no luck. Said the heck with it, went and checked the rotor .. and yup.. off one notch. Aligned it and presto.. ignition :!: :roll: :wink: :oops: :wink: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”