The little things That get you

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:32 am

Regarding the post about my replacing the points and such below.I found the problem....me. When I was putting things back together, I could have sworn the rotation of the distributor was counter clock wise looking towards the front of the engine so, I connected the plug wires 1,3,4,and 2. The rotation is clockwise and therefore, 2 and three were backwards. How is it that I can get something so stuck in my head to "just know" I am right and be so totally wrong. Switched those two wires and ran like a new machine last night. I always knew that I was the smartest kid in school, because I overheard the teachers saying they "can't teach that kid anything". I hope the cub Gods can be forgiving. :brainfart:

Re: The little things That get you

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:18 am

Th bad part is that it gets worse as you get older. :tears:

Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Th bad part is that it gets worse as you get older. :tears:
Yes it do.

Bought a boat, motor and trailer. Motor needed a gasket between the carburator and reed valve assemble. Cleaned the carburator. Then I carefully laid out the gasket and punched all of the small holes, then cut to size. Installed the carburator. Next afternoon I tried to start the motor. No start. Checked spark, compression, fuel flow, starting fluid. Must have pulled on the rope for close to an hour. Double checked everything several more times. Decided to remove the carburator again.

Someone forgot to cut out the big hole in the center of the gasket. The carburator venturi hole.

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 am

Eugene wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Th bad part is that it gets worse as you get older. :tears:
Yes it do.

Someone forgot to cut out the big hole in the center of the gasket. The carburator venturi hole.

I done the same thing last fall on a mower carb. gave up and bought a new gasket ($6.00) and realized what I done wrong while putting the store bought one on. :oops: :oops: :oops: Grump