This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Diesel cub????? check it out??

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Diesel cub????? check it out??

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:50 am

Go to; www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gallery/photo_view.cgi

The serial number looks fishy to me to be an int154 maybe you guys will know what it is?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Diesel cub????? check it out??

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:16 pm

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gall ... at=tphotos
Its possible. The SN is for the mower, not the tractor. Its definatly not a C-60 engine under the hood. If you read the remarks someone commented that the gears would be backwards, but it being an aircooled engine, you could connect the drive train to either side of the motor and have the transmission work normally. Eicher uses air cooled diesels in their tractors. It is neat, would like to see and hear it run.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:59 pm

I been thinking of going diesel too but the 3k price tag for a new motor isn't going to cut it.
I think i would like the 134fhead jeep engine in my cub its 45hp.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

c172skyhawk2
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30680

Postby c172skyhawk2 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:02 pm

air cooled, i wounder how it does? it does not look like it has a fan to keep air moving over the cylinders.
Fly it like you stole it
Low and slow, that's my tempo

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Postby b52c130 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:52 am

I had looked into re-powering my 184 a while back.
The old VW 'Rabbit' diesel looked like a 'good' candidate, not too big, produce an adequate amount of HP at 2,400 to 2,500 RPM, relatively plentiful and 'junkyard' cheep.
The stumbling block seemed to be that the starter was mounted on the bell housing pointing away from the engine (ie: over the flywheel, clutch, PTO area). The engine block looked like it was originally designed with a location for a starter in the same location as the 184 & Farmall C60 engines - it just wasn't there on the Rabbit installation.
Of course; even if the starter 'stumbling block' could be over come, then there would be the 'governor' issue.
Just some 'food for thought' - if anyone has free time to continue the 'hunt' for an easy, inexpensive re-power solution.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:59 am

We can buy a governor setup from Pierce they offer a universal govenor too that can be adapted. They used pierce govenors on the gravely tractors and when i restored them i added the pierce govenor on them. Using a govenor is really an engine saver this is why the engines with them lasted for so long.

www.thepiercecompany.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:56 am

I have seen that before, on Ebay I think. It has been 2 or 3 years though.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm

Would you beef up the drive lines? Last week I sheared the bolt on the front flywheel just plowing my old garden spot. I would hate to see the damage caused by a modern diesel engine. One of my old racing buddies used to say "cubic inches will never defeat cubic dollars" I suppose that sums up life in general.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:17 am

It sounds to me like the drive shaft from an Fcub would be needed with the clutch up front. I guess thru a series of pillow block supports would be needed so no bending of the driveshaft will occur when torque is applied. Yup your going to need a govenor for sure. You may need some cross reinforcements on the frame for twist too when this baby torques up. Depending on what kind of power you have. I would keep the power around 20hp if possible.

Pins are very strong when in shear. If you have a machinests hand book its in there for the shear strength of steel pins. If you look at the "hammer locks" used in connecting hooks to forged chains you may be surprised at the tonnage they can hold. I'm talking 25ton loads on small pins. When i looked into the strength of pins i was shocked to see how strong they really are. Of course the right steel is used too.

Chains;(thoughts on chains)
Now chains i've seen 3/8" chain snap when both mack trucks were going different directions when one was trying to pull the other out of the mud. The chain went right up the hood and roof of one truck and broke the back window too. My 1 ton truck would snap 5/16" chain no problem when pulling logs. I still use 1/2" chain today even though its really heavy to drag around. We need to access the task being done when picking the size chain to use too. Choose wisely grasshopper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:44 pm

There's a CAT diesel engine right now on ebay its brand new 28hp for $2,899 its item number #150319344034. If i were going to go diesel this engine would be the one i'd use.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”