no reverse!

IH CUB LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your LoBoy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

no reverse!

Postby bdunegan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:11 pm

my neighbor has a 184 that he was going to sell. he loaded it on trailer, tied it down, but left it running to charge battery. wind blew seat forward and nocked tractor into reverse. it could not move due to being chained down, but now has clicking sound in all forward gears, and in reverse, shaft just spins freely for a few turns, then locks up. tractor will move about two feet in reverse, then shaft just spins. noise is not in clutch area, but in transmission. any ideas, and about how much to fix it? would like to find schematic of trans somewhere so maybe i could see how it is put together. he dont want to buy manual, because it is going to be for sale one way or another. tractor is slick, and has good deck on it, and has factory grill guard on it. motor runs great. it will probably be for sale soon, because it will cost more than he will spend to fix it! any ideas anyone?
bdunegan

Re: no reverse!

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:14 pm

When the seat flipped forward and jammed the shifter into reverse, it more than likely broke (ground off) a bunch of the teeth on the reverse gear itself. The clicking noise you hear is probally the broken pieces floating around.
Here is the I&T manual for the 154 transmission, which is the same:
page 12 - http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/I&T%20 ... e%2012.jpg
page 13 - http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/I&T%20 ... e%2013.jpg
Of course to get to where you can see inside of the transmission, quite a few things have to be removed.
Good Luck
RaymondDurban
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 80831
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:26 pm

you my want to look an see if there is a high and low shifter, and make sure it is engaged. When i had my 184, the first time it slipped out of high/low i was freaking, as i couldnt get it to do anything. and letting go of the clutch sounded god awful. Then i figureed the hi/low thing and it worked. :oops:
John(videodoc)
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
4 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Louise"(Done) IH 1000 One arm Loader
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow

1950 Demo "Billie" -(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
Mid Mount Grader Blade
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Garland Terry » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:58 pm

I am with you doc. I cant feature too much damage to the tranny. It should have killed the engine immediatly. I bet it is somthing simple ORRRR it was messed up before.
John(videodoc) wrote:you my want to look an see if there is a high and low shifter, and make sure it is engaged. When i had my 184, the first time it slipped out of high/low i was freaking, as i couldnt get it to do anything. and letting go of the clutch sounded god awful. Then i figureed the hi/low thing and it worked. :oops:
Garland Terry
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Might be just as easy to buy a used tranny from one of our sponsers bottom of the page. They can be rebuilt though.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop
beaconlight
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 10314

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 pm

I would think it hammered the fork and broke it first, because its the weakest link in trhe tranny. I'll bet the fork is either broken or bent.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.
BigBill
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 00000

Return to LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185