This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

no reverse!

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bdunegan
10+ Years
10+ Years

no reverse!

Postby bdunegan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:11 pm

my neighbor has a 184 that he was going to sell. he loaded it on trailer, tied it down, but left it running to charge battery. wind blew seat forward and nocked tractor into reverse. it could not move due to being chained down, but now has clicking sound in all forward gears, and in reverse, shaft just spins freely for a few turns, then locks up. tractor will move about two feet in reverse, then shaft just spins. noise is not in clutch area, but in transmission. any ideas, and about how much to fix it? would like to find schematic of trans somewhere so maybe i could see how it is put together. he dont want to buy manual, because it is going to be for sale one way or another. tractor is slick, and has good deck on it, and has factory grill guard on it. motor runs great. it will probably be for sale soon, because it will cost more than he will spend to fix it! any ideas anyone?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: no reverse!

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:14 pm

When the seat flipped forward and jammed the shifter into reverse, it more than likely broke (ground off) a bunch of the teeth on the reverse gear itself. The clicking noise you hear is probally the broken pieces floating around.
Here is the I&T manual for the 154 transmission, which is the same:
page 12 - http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/I&T%20 ... e%2012.jpg
page 13 - http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/I&T%20 ... e%2013.jpg
Of course to get to where you can see inside of the transmission, quite a few things have to be removed.
Good Luck

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:26 pm

you my want to look an see if there is a high and low shifter, and make sure it is engaged. When i had my 184, the first time it slipped out of high/low i was freaking, as i couldnt get it to do anything. and letting go of the clutch sounded god awful. Then i figureed the hi/low thing and it worked. :oops:

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:58 pm

I am with you doc. I cant feature too much damage to the tranny. It should have killed the engine immediatly. I bet it is somthing simple ORRRR it was messed up before.
John(videodoc) wrote:you my want to look an see if there is a high and low shifter, and make sure it is engaged. When i had my 184, the first time it slipped out of high/low i was freaking, as i couldnt get it to do anything. and letting go of the clutch sounded god awful. Then i figureed the hi/low thing and it worked. :oops:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Might be just as easy to buy a used tranny from one of our sponsers bottom of the page. They can be rebuilt though.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:05 pm

I would think it hammered the fork and broke it first, because its the weakest link in trhe tranny. I'll bet the fork is either broken or bent.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”