This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 loBoy driveline

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
J.Stacey
10+ Years
10+ Years

154 loBoy driveline

Postby J.Stacey » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:17 pm

Hello I am new to this forum. I have been reading it for a while though. This past summer I purchased a 154 LoBoy that had a driveline failure. It basically will need everything from the flywheel to the input shaft. I have been told this repair will be expensive. Some parts are no longer available. I know these are underpowered and can run hot in the dead heat of summer. Mine has a (trying to remember) 60" Woods deck under it. I have a lot of open area to mow that I currently mow with a JD 345 with 48" deck. It takes me around 4 hours if I trim also. My son is getting just about to the age he can help with the mowing. I thought I might try and repair the loboy and mow with him. My grass in the open areas isn't really too thick and heavy and I usually mow once a week until it starts to brown. Then I will eventually mow the buckhorn. I bought the loboy dirt cheap so I don't mind putting some money into it. My thoughts are that if I can repair it for under its value I could always sell it and get out from under it if it doesn't work in my situation. I guess I am wanting your opinions. I could also part it out but it looks really nice and looks to be in good condition other than the driveline. I need to look to see how to post photos. I can post some later if you would like to see what I am talking about . These have always intrigued me and even as a kid I thought they were neat.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 loBoy driveline

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:18 pm

Welcome to the Forum!!

What exactly do you mean by 'driveline failure'?? What exactly failed or is broken?? The parts for the 154 can still be found, "Hamiltonbob" on E-bay parts these tractors out and is a good guy to deal with. He is also a member of this forum.
The tractor can be a great mowing machine if properly tuned up. Alot of people don't like them but I love mine. The issue with running hot is an example of someone not cleaning out the cooling system properly.
The photo posting is a bit daunting at first, but is actually quite easy. Get yourself an online photo sharing account first and then upload your photos there. Then it is a matter of linking the address of your photos in your posts for others to see.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

J.Stacey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby J.Stacey » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:45 pm

I can grab the driveline by the clutch and move it up and down around an 1" in either direction. The pressure plate is also broken. I am almost positive the driveshaft is slightly bent too. I think I will start an account with photobucket and take some photos.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Parts are available though some are a bit pricey. I think it will be worth the effort. If we can't answer your questions here there is a numbered lo-boy group on Yahoo Groups that will be able to help with parts. A couple of those guys should have everything you need.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

J.Stacey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby J.Stacey » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:47 pm

Hopefully I can get the photos to appear. The throw out bearing holder is broke. The back side of the clutch is broke where it goes onto the trans input shaft. The input shaft looks like it could be oval and worn where the pin would go. The clutch feels slopy on the splines on the shaft. The throwout assembly is sloppy where it pivots. My best guess it that the pin on the input shaft came loose, broke the back side of the clutch, and then broke the throwout bearing holder from the weight and being unballanced. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:37 pm

Joe:

Welcome to the Cub Family. I can't really help cause I don't have a Numbered Lo-Boy and I really am not a mechanic . But.. I can help. The Owner's Manual, the Parts Manual are both on the server at the Manuals link at the top of the page as well as below in the Welcome Wagon. The Service Manual can be found under the Blue Ribbon links as well.

Do have fun, I hope you get the information you need. I can tell you this, the guays here are really sharp and they can answer just about any problem. Do enjoy the read below.. and have fun with your Cub.

First, Image to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

The Welcome Wagon is a relatively brief introduction to the information that is currently available on Cub tractors, and answers many of the common questions new members ask right of the bat. Although it is a bit overwhelming :shock: , it has been designed to actually be copied to a Word Processor such as Microsoft Word (which preserves the active links), and saved to your desktop for easy reference at a later date or when you have a bit more time to read all the information contained in the links below. Please do so, enjoy and I hope this will be a useful aid in learning more about your New Cub Tractor :!: :D

Filling out your Image Profile is a real help. It just needs to be - State,City, County, a lot less than what is available in your local phone book. Knowing where you are will help in members offering to come help, when you are looking for parts - the area that would be useful to you etc., Also our CubFests, Mini-Fests or a simple KaffeeKlatsch/get together over coffee and a doughnut etc., to help each other benefits. Just a thought :!:

When adding signature lines to your profile, the use of animated or non-animated banners and large graphics files must be avoided. These files consume large amounts of bandwidth and cause slow page loading, especially for those forum members using dialup connections.

Ok, so here is the spiel Image:

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ Prior to Posting. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's 1 and ATIS FAQ's 2, The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub. One of the other projects we have been working on and it will be a continuing effort is the The Cub Book of Knowledge. This the the place to go to get all the quick links to some very good articles written by many members of the forum on solving some of the problems we encounter as we repair, maintain and up-grade our Cubs. Keep looking for this to grow.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub. In addition to this basic information, there are also a number of other useful tools available on the server. There is the Specialty Services page which has contact info for neat stuff like getting your seats recovered, buying quality Decals, Serial Number tags and a host of other neat items. Also there are the Parts Pages - both Used Parts Suppliers and New Parts Suppliers pages with links to quality dealers. I am always looking for YOUR favourite dealers for New and Used Parts to include here. These pages are intended to complement our Official FarmallCub.com Website Sponsors:I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the three most important manuals you can own for Maintenance, Repair and Rebuilding your Cub. These are the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the Cub Manual Server, it is better if you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only Authorized IH Publication Reprint House and they have the best quality manuals available. Most other's are not of the same quality. Just a personal thought here, the I&T Shop Manuals, although helpful in some areas, really are not sufficient for the job. If you wish though, they are good additional reference works.

IF you really want to get the skinny on all things Cub, might I suggest you get a copy of Ken Updike's Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet's :?: . While you are at it Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet is Ken's latest addition to the series. Along with Guy Fay's Letter Series Originality Guide, these are three must have's in anyone's collection.

In addition to the above information, don't forget to check out the various articles that are available to help with your Repair, Restore, Rebuild or just your Maintenance Projects. There are a number of sub pages such as Electrolysis or Rust Zapper's, Maintenance Tips, Jigs and Techniques, Implement and Part Sketches and of course the Paint, Decals & Other Finish Questions which has the Paint Chart and the Paint Committee Decisions links.

Oh, and while the program still lasts.. you might want to check the Announcement: Navistar Free Gas Cap Offer - On-Line Form thread at the top of the Cub Forum and send away for the new style safety cap before that program runs out as well. The program has been extended and no new definite end-date has been announced at this point. It is an extension only and may end rather quickly depending on available stocks. Please do take advantage of this offer and get the new safety caps :idea: :!:

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, Image to the Cub FamilyImage :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 pm

J.Stacey wrote:The clutch feels slopy on the splines on the shaft. The throwout assembly is sloppy where it pivots. My best guess it that the pin on the input shaft came loose, broke the back side of the clutch, and then broke the throwout bearing holder from the weight and being unballanced.

I see you handled the photo issue with out a problem!
The throwout bearing is not a 'snug' fit between the arms. It needs a bit of room to move so that the arm will pivot up and back down when the clutch pedal is pushed and then released. The TOB is available through CaseIH. The slop you are seeing in the flywheel is more than likely not just the splines but in the transmission gears themselves and in the bolt up in the engine flywheel, although you will definately need a new transmission flywheel. Remove the driveshaft and roll it across a flat surface to see if it is in fact bent, hopefully not!
The link to the yahoo groups for the numbered series is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ihcubloboyseries/
Best of luck and keep us posted.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:52 pm

Go to ebay and search "154 cub" "154cub" for parts there a few parts you need on there right now. Look for "hamiltonbob" there too he parts out 154's so we have plenty of parts that are available time to time. Send him an email too. He is at; rcn@zoomtown.com tell him bill154cub sent you.

These are great mowing machines and with the 60" deck its awesome to mow with too. Its so much faster to mow with and well worth fixin. Trust me once you mow with it you'll be hooked too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

J.Stacey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby J.Stacey » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks guys. I have some manuals coming. I am going to repair it . It is nice to know there is somewhere I can ask questions and get advice from those who have done that been there. Thanks.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:14 pm

Boy you in a whole heap o trouble now!! Looks like you have a busted flywheel which is not technically a flywheel so for the sake of clarity and brevity, which everybody knows I aint long winded, I will call it the rear flywheel. I think I have one that is servicable. 1st question is what happened? next question is will the tranny turn. good news is it shouldn't be a hard fix. better news is I won't want much for the part. send me a pm. GT :thumbsup:

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:32 pm

No worries...these parts do wear out, and IH still offers alot of them. We had a 185 that was thru here and it had a similar problem. Owner neglect was the cause. They parked it when it wouldn't stop or go into gear.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Its funny how many PO's will hear a noise and they know it ain't right but the'll continue to drive it anyway until it stops. Of course by this time the cost of the repair went way up too. Then we come along and get a good buy even though it has to be repaired.

Even with two acres of grass to mow i'd never be without my int154 w/3260 deck. Its like riding in a caddilac when i'm mowing its that smooth. I just need a place for the cup holder.. :{_}: I figure i can mount a cooler on the 3pt hitch. I can raise it to get a cold one and lower it so its out of the way hidden again. (kidding).
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Dave Hull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38506
Tractors Owned: Cub demo

Postby Dave Hull » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 pm

WAy to go, so many damage with using the service manuals.

These failures usually point to loose tranny connections- check all bolts, frame metal and especially the frame and brace welds.

Also, make sure you buy the factory bolt and torque correctly that goes through the rear plate(flywheel)- many have made this maistake and caused the same or worse failures.

J.Stacey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby J.Stacey » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Well, I finally got the time to split the rear end off of the Loboy and get a better look. The entire driveline from the engine to the transmission is worn out or broke. Someone got their money's worth because it all looks pretty original. Plus, I found some more issues. The frame rail on the back right side is broke completely in two and since the transmission was loose the front two lower bolts are broken off. Someone knew about the bolts because they made a retainer to hold them into the spacers. Both issues can be repaired pretty easily though. I have been e-mailing "hamiltonbob" back and forth. He is very knowledgeable and has been a huge help. Thanks everyone for your info and comments.

J.Stacey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby J.Stacey » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:19 pm

Just curious but has anyone devised a way to support the rear frame or give it more support to relieve it of some stress? After I get mine back together I may look into this.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”