154 cooling fan bearings

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 am

I already have so much money in my 154 project I'm at one of those "might as well" items. The fan bearings seem just a little loose any a little noisy. Thinking about changing them. I've never seen one of these apart. From the parts manual it looks like the bearings and shaft are a unit. Has anyone changed this? Is it a unit that you have to get from IH or can you just change the bearings? And if it is a unit, is it still available or cost prohibitive. Thanks, Keith

Re: 154 cooling fan bearings

Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:40 am

I got some used assemblies from ebay that were still good.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:03 am

The bearings I have are probably good enough. Just thinking while it is apart why not replace with new so I don't have to do it later.

Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:07 am

Mine have no play at all. I would fix it because the radiators are expensive if it lets go. With my luck i'm sure it would happen too.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Well, my mind was just made up for me. Use what I have, it's seems good enough.
Just called my local IH dealer, it's $160 for the bearing assembly.

Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:39 pm

There's one on ebay right now for just $14 and i thinks its $15 for shipping for a total of $29 for a used one. You can ask him before you bid if there is any play in the bearings too.

Go to ebay, then search "154 cub" and i think its on the second page.

It doesn't hurt to have an extra one.

I did find a new one for the fcub for only $88 at a tractor parts place on the net but i'm not sure if they interchange with the int154. http://www.drapertractor.com I just received there catalog.

Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:39 am

Bill Thanks for the heads up on the ebay unit. But I must admit I've been holding out. I have a complete extra 154 engine that I really didn't want to touch. Well as things go, I had to steal the starter/generator from it, so, might as well check the fan. It's better so thats the one I'll use.