This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Just when I thought the 154 was done.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253
Circle of Safety: Y

Just when I thought the 154 was done.

Postby Pony Master » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Well, I thought the neighbors 154 was done. All I had left was an oil change that he asked me to do. After replacing a leaking hydraulic hose today, I decided to take it for a drive. Drove great! :{_}: Decided to check the mower and make sure everything there was okay. Kicked the pto in, and it sounded fine. Kicked it off, and it shut off. Took off down the road, throttled it up, and the mower kicked back in on it's own. Now I can not get it to shut off. Any ideas?
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Re: Just when I thought the 154 was done.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Sounds like an issue with the PTO clutch. Is there any adjustment :?: I know the PTO clutches in the numbered series are complex; one of the reasons I don't want one. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:20 pm

Just a suggestion but I would check to make sure the PTO control rod didn't come out of the lever at the other end.

Did you take the PTO clutch assembly apart when you were working on the tractor? there are some shims in there that if one is left out it can cause you problems.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Cub-Bud wrote:Sounds like an issue with the PTO clutch. Is there any adjustment :?: I know the PTO clutches in the numbered series are complex; one of the reasons I don't want one. :wink:

I don't think there that complex or hard to work on. I think its more about maintenance than anything else, well maybe abuse too. There pretty close to the design of the cub cadet PTO's (similair). Heck i have 3 int154's now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 pm

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253

Postby Pony Master » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:22 am

WOW! I have to say that looks quite complex. I did not take any of that apart. I am sure the rod is still connected. I really hope I can get this to straiten up with out taking that clutch apart. I think this tractor suffers from some serious neglect by the previous owner.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 am

Pony Master wrote:WOW! I have to say that looks quite complex. I did not take any of that apart. I am sure the rod is still connected. I really hope I can get this to straiten up with out taking that clutch apart. I think this tractor suffers from some serious neglect by the previous owner.

Pony Master:

The clutch control lever when you pulled up to engage did you feel it snap in and when you disengaged it it should have snapped out. What I'm trying to say you should be feeling the clutches engage and disengage if not that shaft that you see int the exploded view might need to be lubed with some molly grease.

Again this is just a suggestion, you may have already known that. Do you have a repair manual for the 154? If not there are manuals on site that you can order from JENSALES ( Service Manual ) for the 154,184,185 Cub & Loboy

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:04 am

Sounds like those pressure (........) things are out of alignment? I had to have mine adjusted in my 154 to get it to stay engaged.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:03 am

Bigbill wrote;
.......There pretty close to the design of the cub cadet PTO's (similair). ........

I don't agree. The drive clutch and the PTO clutch on a Cub Cadet are for the most part, trouble free. The drive clutch and PTO clutch on a 154 are both known problem areas, with damage or failure normally resulting from normal wear or design problems (the drive clutch was redesigned during the production run which helped some). I really don't see any similarity between them and the ones on a Cub Cadet. However, I do agree that neglect can contribute to the failure of the clutches, or any other item for that matter, be it on a 154 or a Cub Cadet.

IMO, the numbered series Lo-Boy's were not one of the better ideas to come from IH, and other than the basic engine and transaxle, really have nothing in common with the Cub, or the offset Lo-Boy they replaced, but that is just my opinion. I'll stick with the off-set Lo-Boys.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:11 am

The operation is similiar the way they disengage and engage. It has more parts inside.

I still feel owner neglect is the main problem with these failing. But remember were dealing with 40 yo machines now too time takes its toll with neglect too. How often does that clutch actually slip when you hit something? I think that matters too lets face it its a finnish mower and not men't to be a brushhog though i'm sure most of us do run it into the high stuff at times. I really don't think its a bad design, i think its more an abused problem. This tractor isn't an Farmall A with a brushhog. If its kept on the lawn the way its supposed to be you'll be ok.

I think the int154's are awesome with there live PTO they do have there advantages. We can find faults on any tractor for sure. And i don't think we should throw stones at any one of them, each one has there place. I really don't think there are too many other tractors out there that can match the performance of the int154 numbered series nor the fcub letter series tractors. I think either one is a good tractor if its maintaned properly. My first int154 proves that so far its been a good machine going on my 3rd year with it. Other than a clutch adjustment and the tranny fork problem which seems to be the norm with any ih tranny its been a good machine. Don't forget were buying a neglected machine and we have to fix the stuff that they didn't and thats not the quality of the tractor at all its the lack of maintenace on the PO's part.

The PO of my int154 let the first gear grind when engaging it rather than adjust the clutch and flywheel brake insync and he had the manual too both the owners and repair manual on it. I took me more reading time about it than to fix it.

I have seen worst designs in other industries that are way worse than our tractors could ever be trust me i have been there.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:55 am

A 154 pto clutch is nothing like a cub cadet clutch! They are both clutches but that is where things end. However, the pto clutch is simple and easy to work on. It should take 15 minutes to take off the clutch and another 15 minutes to take apart. I expect one of the two large thrust bearings is bad preventing the cam from turning and releasing.. Look at all the pieces and it should be obvious what is binding.. The bearings are generic and are on ebay for $15 or so. This does not sound like a loose lever but look at that first.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:15 pm

The clutch has only a few unique parts, most of what you see are just stacks of the same things. There are two cams with large diameter bearings separated by 3 steel balls. That is the part that may be bad and not rotating well. there is a pilot roller bearing on one end but unlikely it is bad. the rest is just a stack of spacers and plates. Do a search on tbwoods.com and you will find your clutch along with adjustment instructions.

Don't be frustrated, the 154 is a good machine and is reliable for what it was designed. I agree with BigBill. I always wonder why people are excited about 1 hour of seat time, I have thousands of hours of seat time on both 154s and offset cubs and for cutting grass I absolutely prefer a 154 over an offset cub or offset lowboy.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Our local mower repair guy in town was over my neighbors house fixing his newer JD which is always having problems. He seen me mowing with my int154 across the street and said now there's a mowing machine. I love the int154 its awesome and so smooth to mow with I enjoy cutting the 2 acres so much i drive it to my daughters house thast closeby and cut her two acres too. My neighbors wife got sick and i helped him cut his 6 acres too for a while. I just wanted to put some hours on the int154 to really put it thru the paces to see if anything was wrong with it.

Now that i have a 154 with the creeper tranny in the future i'll look for the PTO driven front snowblower for it. That was my plan anyway to find a 154 with the creeper. Finding it with the twin brakes was a plus too. I been wanting to put split rail fence down my driveway on both sides, that leaves me no place to plow the snow. The 154 with the snowblower solves that problem.

I still like my fcub too, once i get it all rebuilt it will be a looker too. I just have to figure out what attachment i'm going to put on it to use it too. I'm surprised that IH never added a live PTO driven off the crank pulley on the fcub. Connectikit did post a pic of the twin vee belt crank pulley a while back.

I have no clue as to why IH stopped manufacturing both the Fcub and int154/184/185 style of tractors. I'm surprised that the newer cub cadet company didn't grab that option too. These tractors got left behind for sure.

I'm eyeing the 284's now too. I gots the disease really bad now.

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 pm

I've wondered why IH didn't put live PTO on these too. My pto lever is is to get to engage, getting it out is trickier on my fcub

HAMILTONBOB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HAMILTONBOB » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:30 pm

In regard to the PTO staying ENGAGED, probably the snap ring between the stationary cam and the actuating cam came off. One other option would be the stationary cam came loose from the clutch cleat bracket that mounts on the frame. These are the only two things I would know to keep a PTO clutch constantly engaged if you have pulled up on the handle.
Good Luck
Hamiltonbob

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”