This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

smoke comming out breather

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
valkerider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62265

smoke comming out breather

Postby valkerider » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:55 am

I have a 154, with smoke comming out the breather, any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: smoke comming out breather

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:12 am

Got several thoughts. Non may be very good.

1) There is an early PCV system on the engine, a tube coming from the front of the engine to the canister on the air cleaner. This tube frequently gets plugged up. There is also an orifice at the engine block end of the tube that gets plugged.

2) Could be worn rings or stuck. Might try Seafoam in the engine oil and fuel to see if the rings won't loosen up.

3) Dry and wet compression test. Perhaps the engine is needing an overhaul.

4) If the tractor currently performs to you satisfaction, try items 1 & 2 above, and just operate the tractor.

Welcome.
I have an excuse. CRS.

valkerider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby valkerider » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:55 pm

thanks for the info,it seams like its running ok,but ive never ran one of these before,I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:04 am

valkerider:

My 154 does the same thing and I have ruled it to blow by, because the engine is using oil and it smokes ever so slightly from the exhaust.

Eugenes suggestion of using seafoam sounds like it would definitely help me and if you are experiencing the same symptoms that's what I would do. One thing though. WHAT IS SEAFOAM?

Eugene if you read this I would also like to know.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:34 am

Did you clean and soak the breather cap in kerosene or gasoline? In the old days we would clean the filler cap which is also a crankcase breather too. The crankcase breathing system needs to be cleaned too often. We did it at every oil change. After all tractors see more dust and dirt than cars do.

By adding seafoam to the gas tank and crankcase oil it will lube the upper part of the engines like the valves and piston rings. It will free stuck rings and seat them again too. By your first tank of gas with seafoam you should notice the difference in blowby and it will idle much higher than normal.

I think the valves and piston rings really lack lube from sitting for long periods. By using an upper lube(seafoam) it will avoid sticky valves, worn valve guides and stuck piston rings. Its no a rebuilt engine in a can but it will fix a spruce up a decent engine with sticky problems from lube not getting were it should go.

Mayne years ago we would use the "mobil upper lube" which did the samething, but the seafoam does much more its also a fuel stabilizer too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

valkerider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby valkerider » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:59 pm

checked the pvc its clean,breather cap is oily, I'll clean it and try the seafoam,thanks!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:22 am

Let us know how you make out.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Well I can tell you how I made out using seafoam and that was pretty good. at least the engine is running a lot smoother and with a bit more power. The engine still smokes a little when you first hit full throttle but its just a quick burst. Ive also put some in my cubs fuel tank and that has definitely made a difference in power,but I'm pretty sure the gas was getting stale. Hope you get the same results valkerider.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:52 am

I notice the biggest difference after my very first tank full. And yes its getting rid of the stale gas too. But seafoam is also a gas stabilizer too. I keep my gas tanks topped year round too. In my cub cadets the difference is noticable after i cut two acres of grass.

The way this breather system is set up you should have a bit of breather smoke/air movement out of the breather cap anyway its the norm with any older car or truck too. It was life before the PVC system. On my newlt rebuilt #1 int154 i have a little but at the sametime its not wetting the area around it so i figure its normal blowby. Usually when the blowby gets that bad from bad rings it will shoot a mist of oil although its very little. By soaking the breather cap you get the caked in grime out of it so it can breathe again.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”