This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lubing your choke & throttle cables

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Lubing your choke & throttle cables

Postby BigBill » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:57 am

Does anyone lube there cables on there tractors?

I have a special clamp thingy that connects to a spray can that forces cable lube into the cable housing while the cable is still in it. We used it on motor cycles to keep the cables lubed and free. With these cables being so expensive it could be a way of extending there life?

Even spraying some PB Blaster into the cable housing would work too.

I'm just wondering if anyone does this and how often do you do it?
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

batty54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035

Re: Lubing your choke & throttle cables

Postby batty54 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Bill, I do mine every spring during servicing. I use wd-40 to start then just some oil and a air hose to blow it through. I never had to replace a rusted cable in 35 years. My gravely is a 1964 original cables, I have a new John Deere that I sprayed the cabled before I even used it.

I saved a few too for people who are too busy to do this, spray the housing with PB and the work it a little usually it will break free in a day or so, a few minutes spraying and working it usuall clears out the rust.
No Cub Yet, but have been servicing them since 1968
"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Landreo » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:55 am

My 154 throttle was not responding well to movement. The throttle cable was loose but I still gave it a shot of graphite lock lube. The problem was the lever that the cable attaches to. This lever pivots on a post attached on the side of the govener housing. There is no way to remove it without taking off the govener. I cleaned the exposed end of the post with emery cloth, pushed the pivot lever onto the newly cleaned part and the emery clothed the rest of the post. A little oil and it is now as good as new. Don't forget to lube this pivot along with the cable.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:41 am

Landreo wrote:My 154 throttle was not responding well to movement. The throttle cable was loose but I still gave it a shot of graphite lock lube. The problem was the lever that the cable attaches to. This lever pivots on a post attached on the side of the govener housing. There is no way to remove it without taking off the govener. I cleaned the exposed end of the post with emery cloth, pushed the pivot lever onto the newly cleaned part and the emery clothed the rest of the post. A little oil and it is now as good as new. Don't forget to lube this pivot along with the cable.

This lever just broke on my #2 int154 project tractor. I just got another one from wengers. I'm going to moly it up. I had it freeing up when it just froze up and broke. I soaked it with PB Blaster while moving it. I'm glad i'm taking it all apart down to the last nut and bolt. This way i'll have a complete restoration and a new machine when i'm done with it. With no headaches or problems popping up down the road. Like i said before i got bitten once with a gravely tractor so from then on i disassemble everything to check it out before the new paint goes on. While it looks good on the outside with new paint and decals it has to look even better on the inside so it runs awesome too. Its a labor of love........ :{_}:
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:55 am

Just read this post and had to smile, because I have been dealing with the same problem on my 154 every season and I would spray WD40 on the cable every year thinkin that that would help and finally after emptyin a few cans I realized it was at the govener yes that :censored: drove me crazy. I only wish someone had posted this a few years ago, but I'm sure a lot of folks will benefit from your post :big afro:

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”