Mower Mule (Pto) drive belts B158

Tue May 19, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm not sure if its my bad luck or not but i'm on my second mower drive belt in less than a year. I been using the napa B158 belts. I just received a B158 Gates belt from mcmaster carr and i hope it holds up better. The Gates belt seems a better quality belt. Its 161" long and its the mule drive belt that goes from the PTO to the 3260 mower deck.

Re: Mower Mule (Pto) drive belts B158

Wed May 20, 2009 6:12 am

NAPA belts ARE Gates belts! I doubt that you will have any better luck with the one from McMaster. I ran into the same problem ,with the Gates belts, on the neighbors tractor that has a Woods belly mower. The belt would only last for about 3 hrs. mowing time. For a few bucks more, we got a belt from Woods and they can get 2 seasons mowing with one of them. I don't think the Gates B series belt can tolerate the necessary back bending to go around idler pulleys. I'm sure that if you contact a Woods dealer, with your belt deminsion, they will have a suitable belt. They might even have a cross reference.

I found the same to hold true on my Kubota belly mower. I thought I was pretty slick and would use a Gates belt and save a lot of money, over buying from Kubota. Bad idea! It mowed the lawn one time! When I use the, more expensive, Kubota belt, it will last 4 - 5 years. I guess it's not expensive after all.

Re: Mower Mule (Pto) drive belts B158

Fri May 22, 2009 6:38 pm

I'm trying to save a few $$ too. I mowed twice now and it still looks like new. Yup my next belt maybe an "IH" belt since its a IH 3260 deck.