This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The 154 Driveshaft????

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

The 154 Driveshaft????

Postby BigBill » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:38 am

I read so many posts about the 154 owners having drive shaft spline problems with worn splines (clutch end). I read in a IH/cub/cadet tractor book that IH messed up on the tolarences between the clutch splines and the shaft splines this is why some are seeing so much wear after many years of use. The Farmall Cub didn't have this problem or i'm not aware of it. I been wondering if the farmall drive shaft can be machined to replace the int154 driveshaft?? Has anyone ever thought of this or measured it?

The only other thing is to weld up the splines and recut them then heat treat the spline area to about 55 to 59 rockwell. I say this becaue we had problems in the new borg warner super T10 when they first came out with the gears/sliders. In the muncie 4 speed the gears were hardened to 59 rockwell and in the borg warner the gears were hardened to 52 rockwell when i checked and compared them. So i figure that 59 rockwell is were it should be at to reduce wear and extent its life. I would think that gears and splines would be the samey same right wear wise?

So far all 3 of my int154's look ok when i inspected the clutch disc and driveshaft splines. I been wondering this for a good fix on this engineering oversite.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: The 154 Driveshaft????

Postby SONNY » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Sounds like a good plan to fix them!!!---My 185 splines are also gone on the clutch end too and I was just gonna slobber some weld on there and grind it to fit.-----it will still outlast me. thanks; sonny

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:56 am

SONNY wrote:Sounds like a good plan to fix them!!!---My 185 splines are also gone on the clutch end too and I was just gonna slobber some weld on there and grind it to fit.-----it will still outlast me. thanks; sonny

You can grind off the excess weld and when it gets close to the right size then file it till the clutch disc fits. But we need to keep the disc a tad loose so it won't bind on the splines. When it gets close you could lap the splined parts together for clearance.

I don't like to jimmy rig or band aid any fix i like to make it right so it lasts. I think we have some great ideas here we just need to see if they will work.

I was already thinking of MIG welding or TIG welding the worn splines a little to build them up them use a 3 corner file by hand to fit the clutch disc to it. If you file carefully you can match the older part of the spline with the welded part. Then you can get the heat treated stuff in a powder form in a can and heat the splines with a torch and dip it into the powder to case harden the new splines. Its really smokey but it works.

I have a farmall main drive shaft here somewhere. If i can measure it and it may or may not need some machine work in a lathe to make the end fit the 4 bolt 154 coulper. If its the correct size to machine we may get lucky. Then cut it to the proper length, machine it to fit the coupler and assemble it and spot the cross hole for the 4 bolt coupling.

The people at IH dropped the ball when they figured the tolarences between the 154 drive shaft and the clutch disc splines. I've seen this a lot in the modern companies when there working with the metric system with tolarences being new to it. Its been a long hard road changing over to the metric system in the US.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:40 pm

I dont have any lathe,---all I have to work with is the torch, drill press, welder, (stick), bandsaw, and grinders, (big and little), so I wont get micro tols', but maybe I can save the shaft BEFORE the splines sheer off.----got a hydro pump in the skidloader with the splines worn off too!---still kickin around the careful weld/grind idea on them too! thanks; sonny

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:58 am

SONNY wrote:I dont have any lathe,---all I have to work with is the torch, drill press, welder, (stick), bandsaw, and grinders, (big and little), so I wont get micro tols', but maybe I can save the shaft BEFORE the splines sheer off.----got a hydro pump in the skidloader with the splines worn off too!---still kickin around the careful weld/grind idea on them too! thanks; sonny

I'm sure you can fix it by welding it and grinding it close and then file it to its normal size.

Have you tried hamiltonbob on ebay? He does have the shafts time to time.

I'm hoping to set up a shop again soon with all the toys like a lathe and a milling machine. I kick myself now because i sold off my last shop that had everything when i got sick. I like being independent and able to fix anything in a moments notice. Once in a snowstorm my frame on my jeep tractor split do to rust. Luckily i was infront of the door to my shop and ran the welding leads out and had some scrap steel to use for a fish plate and had it repaired in less time it takes to get a cup of coffee i was back plowing snow. The fish plate fix lasted for 4 more years of plowing snow till i changed the frame.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Landreo » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:28 am

I believe the 154 driveshaft is 1 inch diameter but I am not sure the fcub is the same. It looks to be the size of the splines which may not be close enough to one inch to allow the flywheel coupler to fit. It may be worth a shot. I have a fcub split at the moment and will measure sometime today.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”