This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hood Nuts

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Hood Nuts

Postby Harold R » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:22 am

Man these things were frustrating. I don't often criticize I/H designs because as a whole, they were great. I can't see any advantage to this design. It holds moisture and is difficult to get to when the inevitable happens.

I ended up cutting the bolts off, prying these things out of the square hole they were in, removing the nuts from the casings and just tack welding them back in place....which it seems to me would have been an easier manufacturing process to begin with. Works great now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: Hood Nuts

Postby BigBill » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:37 pm

These are caged nuts and i think that they can be found at http://www.mcmaster.com. I did pick up some of the square and caged nuts for the dashboard a while back. I do use anti seize on everything that i assemble now.

Do a search at mcmaster carr for "cage nuts" if anyone wants to get new ones. I do try to keep it all orginal were i can but i feel your pain too. My welded nuts in the frame are gone from the PO he broke them i guess.

BTW: On my japanese car i have problems with the spark plugs taking them out. I heard the metric threads on the bosch sparkplugs aren't the correct size. I just had problems again removing them. Now the autolite plugs are in it with anti-seize(moly) now if it lasts another 50k we will see if it has the same problem again but its at 195k now. I think the cad plating on the bosch plugs doesn't like the alumimum heads. They go in easy but come out really hard.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Hood Nuts

Postby Garland Terry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:17 pm

WOW I haven't had that problem.......Yet..... When my Hood nuts turn to cotton balls I will be heading home to you. It's an old Southern Baptist Hymn. :wink: :wink:

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”