This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Lo-Boy 154

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Lo-Boy 154

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:39 pm

Anyone have any info on this tractor? Found one over the weekend with a woods mower (with front mower wheels on it) in my area. Boxy looking front end instead of the rounded front end similar to the 1950's cubs. No telescoping front end. Owner wants ~1600.00. Tires cracked, and needs all four tires. Runs fairly well. Steering has 1/4 turn play. Good or bad idea?

Thanks,

SundaySailor (Rick)

This one looks similar to the one in the photo archives, except it is red in color, not yellow and white
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:08 pm

It was a more modern LoBoy. Same engine, essentially the same transmission.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:15 pm

Rick, you might want to check out this group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ihcubloboyseries/
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:41 pm

Rick:

There is some info on the 154 on the server under Numbered Cubs
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Thanks guys, and....

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:19 am

Another question.... The current cub I own has a woods 42 mower on it. The tractor could use some mechanical help - but which one doesn't? It mows fairly well, and runs fairly well. I'm looking either for another cub with cultivators, etc and leave my current cub as is, or buy another tractor with mower and convert my cub to a cultivating tractor for gardening. What are your opinons on the options? Would you think a 1960's - 1970's lo-boy is a reasonable tractor for mowing, or would you stick with the traditional cub (with mower) and just go ahead and try to find another cub for the garden? I like growing silver queen corn, tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, etc. The cub seems to be the most practical tractor for a smaller garden that I can think of that you can still get parts for. This is a concern to me, as I do not want to buy an imported tractor or even a made in USA that I cannot find repair parts for.

Thanks in advance,

SundaySailor (Rick)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:01 am

Rick, I think the lo-boys are an excellent choice for a mowing tractor and the standard cub is best for cultivating. You could easily go with either option on your choice for another tractor. But, since you mentioned that your current cub runs fair and could use some work, I think the appropriate choice is another mowing tractor. Your cub would see a lot less duty time as a cultivating tractor and might last a lot longer before major repairs become necessary.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks Bigdog...

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:11 am

That makes a lot of sense. I know the current cub definitely needs brakes. Found that out this past weekend. Glad there weren't any cars around when I stopped on a small incline. :o I stomped those brakes as hard as I could, and she still kept backing down the incline. Luckily, I remembered to turn the front wheels against the grain of the hill, and she eventually stopped.

Rick

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:17 am

Rick:

I agree with BD. I have 2 regular cubs - Granny (47) and Ellie-Mae (48) that I use for garden and other assorted yard and woodlot work. I really would like to have a Lo-boy that had a good finish mower deck to dedicate to mowing chores. That certainly would help a lot.

So, I think the best option for you would be to by the Lo-boy and save your reg Cub for garden chores. That way, you can work on the Cub and fix each small problem one at a time without loosing access to your mower.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim (in the thumb of Mi.)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim (in the thumb of Mi.) » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:12 am

Rick, I agree with Big Dog.... I have a 1974 Cub Low Boy (yellow and cream) with a 60in. IH deck that I use just for mowing and leave it set up that way... Great Great mowing machine.. I then have a 1953 Cub that I can keep pristine and give the grand kids a wagon ride as well as take to the classic tractor shows without worry... Jim

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks guys....

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:57 am

This is really something to think about. The mechanic who has done the majority of the work on my current cub told me that if I wanted to work out a trade on my woods mower, he had someone who had the cultivators for the conversion. Now that this looks a bit better, I think I'm going to try and make another trip out to see the Lo-boy again. That is, if we don't end up getting soaking wet from Frances. Fortunately, the Lo-boy is located way out in the country "off the beaten path". So, I might be able to take my time and really check things out. Thanks so much for the comments. They are very much appreciated.

Rick :)

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:26 am

Be sure to give the PTO and it's clutch, and also the tractor clutch, a good checkout. Both are known trouble spots, and both can be pricey to repair.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”