This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Detail and Paint for sale or not

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
washbb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52302

Detail and Paint for sale or not

Postby washbb » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:15 am

I am new to this forum and to the old tractor scene am probably more of a car guy but I would like you guys opinions. I am working on selling a 154 Low Boy. It's a nice unit as is but I am wondering if I should put the effort into a little paint and polish or not. Does it help or hurt if everything is all painted up. What do you guys think? I was thinking most people looking for something to work on and restore would prefer untouched, but I think not being painted up is hurting the sale with the normal buyer. What do you guys think? Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Detail and Paint for sale or not

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:21 am

As with just about anything else, you never get back what you have invested. Figure out what it would cost to paint and then decide if that addition makes it worthwhile. Keep in mind if you give it a factory finish you may never recoup that expense. If you only give it touch ups then the next owner may not want to take that cost into consideration if he intends to strip it down anyway.

If it's a nice tractor to start with, the next owner may not worry about it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:52 am

Its like what a friend of mine who is a auto body shop owner calls a puff and stuff. I like to see what I am buying and fresh paint might scare me. Of course in the digital age if you take a bunch of before pictures it could be a great selling point. Like Bill said what will the buff up cost and what will you make doing it?
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:39 am

For what it is worth - an opinion that is :roll: , I prefer to acquire Cubs in their normal state. I tend to be highly suspicious of those so called refreshments that are used to sell something. Been burned way too many times on lemons with a nice paint job - even just touchups, over the years on cars and trucks. I no longer even seriously consider a "puff and stuff" as Joe so adequately described it. I want to see what I am getting into. I would figure most buyers would also. And I am of the opinion that if one is seriously considering buying a 30 year old garden tractor/estate tractor such as a 154, they already are aware that there will be maintenance and cosmetic issues that may be needing attention.

I would recommend you leave it as is. -- Course that is sight unseen. Ifn you were to post a pic or two of said 154, you would get far more helpful replies.. :wink: :D But then again that is yust me dos centavos worth of opinion and that is all it is worth :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:56 pm

If your going to sell it I would just pressure wash it and touch up the paint job just a little. I have painted just the hoods so they look better when i show off what I purchased. If a buyer is looking at a rusted hood it may drive him away. But a good wash job sure does bring out the luster on an old tractor.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:52 pm

I think a lot depends on how you plan to sell it. If you plan to sell it here or on another tractor forum type site, most folks would be happier with original condition.

However, if you're putting it in your front yard, or on a street corner to sell it, I can tell you that a shiny new looking tractor grabs a lot more attention than an old rusty looking one.

I've worked on and sold lots of tractors, right from my front yard, and the older ones in original condition always get the questions like, "would you take $100 for it?" When I take the time to fix everything and paint them up, I can easily get $1000 for the same tractor. Having said that, I usually don't make much money on the restored ones, and if I had to count my time, I would loose out every time. I only restore the tractors that I want for myself, and that way I'm doing the work for me. If I decide to sell them later, then I just have the benefit of all the work I put into it for myself, which makes it more appealing to other folks.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:18 pm

:Dito: to what gitractorman said. on here original sells, to general public, paint sells.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

washbb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby washbb » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have it listed for sale on this site with pics. You can check my other posts. I could do the refresh for the cost of the materials and my time. It has nice straight sheet metal and does not need any body work except for a chip out of the fiberglass front down low. I was thinking just give it a quick buff as the paint is decent and repaint the yellow down low and the blade assy. I don't realy want to get into a full resto as I know that will never pay back. It just seems alot of people have looked at it and I realy don't think they have a clue about a 30 year old tractor. I would like to sell it to be restored, and I have had a fair amount of interest on it but it comes down to too far away in most cases. Same thing with alot of cars I would like to buy.

Garland Terry
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Garland Terry » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:15 pm

Tough one. We call it sucker polish. If I am looking to buy a working tractor I want to see the damage and neglict and leaks and rust and whatever. If your buying it from the dealer your are going to pay what the book says even if it is a wore out peice of junk. I should know I have been royally screwed several times. I guess I need to walk out a few times. The profit margin on used farm machinery must be fantastic. Paint and stickers just make it cost more. That being said, one of the first things I do is paint and do a little bondo slinging and decals. The reason is more for pride, and in this country a good looking rig says "good manager" and if it is an "old, good looking rig" that is even a "gooder manager". Whe you sit in a tractor 12 hrs a day 6 days a week 18 weeks a year you don't want to look at a beater. You want it to shine, have cold air, and a working radio. It is hard enough without feeling bad about your mule. With these little toy tractors most folks want to fix them up themselves. Paint and strickers most folks can do even if it is a rattle can job. Spend your time and dollars fixing the leaks and putting in the missing bolts. Let the next guy have some vision too. Merry Christmas from central america GT :)

washbb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby washbb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 pm

Here is what I am starting with.
Attachments
cub8.JPG

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:03 pm

Clean it up and sell it like that. A fresh paint job won't add enough to the value.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

washbb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby washbb » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:10 pm

Here is the only body damage. I was thinking of just wax and buff, paint front wheels and fix this at a minimum. It has front blade, mower deck and sickle mower and would like around $2500 for it.
Attachments
cub5.JPG

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:43 pm

I would sell as is. You can get the price you are asking with the accessories.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

washbb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby washbb » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:10 pm

That's what I thought. Have it on local craig's list getting alot of interest but when they come to look we just cant seem to close the sale and I know if it looked better it most likely would sell. I think I'll post it up here again and see if there is any interest here. Had it up once before I had all the info on it and a chance to evaluate it. Thanks.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”