This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Repower

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Re: 154 Repower

Postby b52c130 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:10 am

Just some thoughts and info that I have gathered concerning an engine re-power or improvement;

I think that any porting or "breathing improvement" would yield good power increases for relatively small investments of time or money. One of the biggest downfalls of the C60 engine is that, being a "flathead" - it just doesn't "breath" well. The technical term is "Volumetric Efficiency"; in practical terms, the cylinders just don't fill very well with the air/fuel mixture. The Volumetric Efficiency of the C60 engine is only in the 60% to 63% range (very low) - get more fuel/air in = more power as it is burnt.

About the best, plentiful, inexpensive candidate that I have identified so far is the 1.6, 1.8 & 2.0 liter Ford 4 cylinder engine found in the 1970's Ford Pinto (and cousins). The major changes would be making an adapter plate for the back of the engine to move the starter to about the 10:30 position as viewed from the front; the second would be to add a govenor to the engine; the third would be adapting the Ford power steering brackets to mount a Hydraulic Pump. Other items would possible clearane problems with the intake manifold and carburetor. I am not really sure that it is worth all the effort.

A possible source for new belt driven governors is Farmallparts.com - they have New Universal Belt Driven ones for about $340.00 Picture attached.

It would be so cool if someone actually found something that worked and was practical to make these old tractors more modern from a HP perpsective.

Happy wrench turning - NJDale
Attachments
Pierce Universal $340 - Farmallpartscom - 1.jpg
Universal Belt Governor $340 Farmallparts.com
Pierce Universal $340 - Farmallpartscom - 1.jpg (7.01 KiB) Viewed 634 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 pm

My only fear of porting and increasing the hp in my c60 with the FEL/backhoe project is how much the gas consumption will increase. Right now in cutting the grass with the 60" deck i can run about 4 to 6 weeks on 1 full tank of grass by throttling it back and in 2nd gear. During the winter on a bad winter i can use around 15/20 gallons of gas and this winter it was an average winter i used around 10 gallons of gas till now. These machines are very affordable to operate. Maybe with a good tune up i can live with the little lock in power. But it would give me the excuse to get a Super A next or a later / newer / bigger 154/185/184 and go up to a 284 or bigger.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Postby b52c130 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Bill, that's pretty good - I wouldn't change a thing !!!! If you get to mow all that grass and it only costs you just one tank of "Grass" - then I wouldn't touch a thing; however, the "exhaust" must be tough to deal with, when it blows back on you (Hee - Hee).

As far as a 284 goes - I wouldn't touch one of those with a 10 foot pole. Have you looked at what spare parts for those things go for ???? They were all Japanese built and not that many were sold - spare parts like starters and alternators go for something like $500 each (supply and demand).

NJDale

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”