This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154-starts great, runs shortly, then dies.

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mcfly89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65584

154-starts great, runs shortly, then dies.

Postby Mcfly89 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 am

Im having an issue with my IH cub loboy. its been acting up lately. I deleted the sediment bowl in favor of a fuel filter may years ago. so recently i checked the fuel filter and it looked like it might need replacing. So i replaced filter and checked the tank, there was a chunk of wood the size of a small pinky finger in the fuel inlet, as well as some large sheets of yellow paint. once i got all of that cleaned out, i removed all of the fuel lines and checked them for blockages, removed the carb, disassembled everything but the float and cleaned it up with carb cleaner. (it didnt look bad). the only bad part was the carb inlet screen. it had some nasty looking stuff in it so i sprayed it out. after all this cleaning it still does the same thing. the float does not seem to be sticking...but it acts like it runs until it drains the bowl and then dies. i can back off the throttle and keep it running sometimes, or i can just pull the choke on and it comes back to life. the only thing i didnt pull completely apart was the needle valve above the float. is it possible that theres something in there thats causing me problems? could it be something else, ignition, valvetrain, anything?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154-starts great, runs shortly, then dies.

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:04 am

Remove the plug from the bottom of the carb and ensure that you have a full steady stream of fuel flowing. Catch the fuel in a suitable container and allow it to flow for at least 30-45 sec. If it slows to dribble, you'll know the problem is still a blockage in the fuel delivery circuit. You can then isolate by disconnecting the fuel line from the carb & perform the same test at the line itself. Yes, there could be a piece of junk blocking the needle & seat.

Mcfly89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65584

Postby Mcfly89 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:54 am

the fuel tank and line have been eliminated from the suspects. I'll take the carb apart again and check that darned needle.

kellhammer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19707

Postby kellhammer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:09 am

or rust in the bottom of the fuel tank clogging the line there

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:08 pm

You might want to remove the inlet screen to clean the cavity beneath it. Then reclean the screen to make sure all corrosion is gone. Do you have the nice stainless screen or a brass one. You can blow out the brass screen and still have blockage from the corrosion. Make sure you reinstall the cleaned screen or you'll have more problems later. Make sure you follow Gary's advice and pull the bottom plug and make sure the flow lasts awhile(45 seconds to 1 minute)

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:55 am

Take the carb apart and look above the needle and seat for a piece of wood or crap thats still stopping the flow of fuel.

The orginal fuel bowels act as a water seperator too. This allows us to drain off small amounts of water that form in the gas tank when the temps change and the fuel levels are low.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”