This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbee question

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
duff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47462

Newbee question

Postby duff » Tue May 11, 2010 8:58 pm

Hey guys great site here I have been lurking for over a year now and really need some advice. I have an early 70's model 154 that has been running great and mowing like crazy...until Sunday.

I was running home in 3rd gear. At the bottom of a hill I pushed the clutch down and waited to stop to put it in 2nd gear. The would go into gear but not move.

I am guessing the clutch went out as I can put it in gears and hear small amount of grinding but nothing severe. Once in gear I let up the clutch and nothing. It doesn't move. The clutch pedal seems to have alot of play in it now and doesn't seem to return to the original possition anymore.

Any ideas on how to address this. I am not much of wrench turner but can limp my way through about anything. 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbee question

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed May 12, 2010 5:12 am

Sounds like clutch failure, pull the cover off & have a look. With your description, I think it will be obvious.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed May 12, 2010 10:42 am

Duff:

Welcome to the lighter side of the weeds :D I hope that these are of some help to you Cub-154 Lo-Boy. Unfortunately I do not have as much info on the Numbered Cubs as on the regular Cub and Lo-Boy, but there is some. Oh the I&T Manuals may be of help as well.

Image to the Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

duff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47462

Postby duff » Wed May 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Gary Dotson wrote:Sounds like clutch failure, pull the cover off & have a look. With your description, I think it will be obvious.

It might be obvious to some of you but maybe not so much for me. All I could tell was that it seemed like the clutch pedal was a bit more sloppy so maybe a spring was lost I don't really know. I found a shop manual and read over it but this just gives the specs not really diagnos what is wrong.

What is the best way to determine which part to start with. I took the tractor apart last night but have not really began tinkering with the parts to see if I can narrow it down.

Thanks again guys.

oojimmyc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 80003
Tractors Owned: '69 IH 154 Lo-Boy

Postby oojimmyc » Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey Duff,
Did you ever figure it out? If not, you might check behind the two side panels just aft of the motor. There is a bolt thru the driveshaft that can fall out like mine did today. I just bolted it back in and there ya go! Hope it helps.
Jim

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”