This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

update and another question???

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
duff
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47462

Re: update and another question???

Postby duff » Wed May 19, 2010 7:40 pm

:{_}: I got the shaft off and the clutch pieces off without moving the engine. A bit of sand paper and some sweet talking got er done. Problem is once I got the clutch off I was messing with cleaning off the grease and dirt I heard ball bearings hitting the floor :( Found all but one of them and it came from the release bearing. Is that the same as a throw out bearing? Since I got it all apart I will see if I can replace that as well.

Now back to the clutch. I got it off the tractor and looked it over. I couldn't tell if it was worn, it was not broken, so I am not sure if that is the true problem or not. Anything I should look at specifically? It did look like there was some uneven wear around a few of the rivits but nothing bad.

Thanks again for the advice. It's helped me limp through.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

HAMILTONBOB
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HAMILTONBOB » Wed May 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Be sure to check the center spline for wear. Put the spline end of your driveshaft into the center of the clutch and check for tightness
Hamiltonbob

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 am

Yes, check the splines for wear. Each of the splines should be a square shape. If it looks more like a triangle, then you have more work to do. The splines typically wear because of a bad u-joint If replacing the clutch and driveshaft, do the u-Joint as well.
Sounds like you are replacing the throwout bearing as well. All of these components are really pricey. There are knock-off brands that can be used for most items, but I stuck with the factory parts.
The original parts lasted for 30 years, the new ones should last that long as well.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”